Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess it's time to update but ..........

grits Guest

Red face Guess it's time to update but ..........

I've gone & got myself on "overload" now that I've spent soooo long here reading up on things so will try to keep it to just one question, " do I read right in that it seems to be recommended always to uninstall old version 1st, then install new one?"
    That would probably be best for me anyway since I've put this off for so long that I'm 5 versions back
    I am tho' a bit leary of .057 after all the reading today so think I'll go with .044.

Thanx,
    grits

Windows XP SP3
    IE8
    ZA Free 7.0.483.000

Default Re: Guess it's time to update but ..........

Quote Originally Posted by grits View Post
    I've gone & got myself on "overload" now that I've spent soooo long here reading up on things so will try to keep it to just one question, " do I read right in that it seems to be recommended always to uninstall old version 1st, then install new one?"
    That would probably be best for me anyway since I've put this off for so long that I'm 5 versions back
    I am tho' a bit leary of .057 after all the reading today so think I'll go with .044.

Thanx,
    grits

Windows XP SP3
    IE8
    ZA Free 7.0.483.000

The safest procedure is to :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and (no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZoneAlarm free updates

You can Download the Current version or Previous version from the Link above..

2.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

grits Guest

Thanks again George, that's what I figured so already had your instructions saved.

grits Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    The safest procedure is to :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and (no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZoneAlarm free updates

You can Download the Current version or Previous version from the Link above..

2.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..
    I guess I'm overly cautious but want to make sure I have "all my ducks in a row" before I start this proceedure so I need to ask a couple more questions .......... 1. Should I make a Restore Point before I start? 2. Should I have both the new version & the removal tool saved to my desk top before I get started on removal so that I can do everything "Offline"?

Sorry to be a pest,
    grits
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 3rd, 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: update ZA Removal tool

I guess I'm overly cautious but want to make sure I have "all my ducks in a row" before I start this proceedure so I need to ask a couple more questions ..........
    1. Should I make a Restore Point before I start? 2. Should I have both the new version & the removal tool saved to my desk top before I get started on removal so that I can do everything "Offline"?

Sorry to be a pest,
    grits
    Good Questions.. it is always best to be Safe rather than Sorry later..

1.) making a "Restore Point" is always a good idea before any major Upgrade of Software.. Makeing a Full Image Backup of the Boot Hard drive would be even better.. ( but not required)..

2.) Should I have both the new version & the removal tool saved to my desk top before I get started..

This is another Good idea to Download all needed files first before proceeding..

3.) Please report beck with a progress report..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 20th, 2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV

grits Guest

Thanx George, golly, you're always so prompt with a reply, very nice!

I know I should, but never have done a back-up of any kind. I've read & re-read many articles,etc. about back-ups but always have a problem understanding things. I've had a computer for several years but still consider myself "computer dumb".

Thanx George, golly, you're always so prompt with a reply, very nice!

I know I should, but never have done a back-up of any kind. I've read & re-read many articles,etc. about back-ups but always have a problem understanding things. I've had a computer for several years but still consider myself "computer dumb".
    Here is my Post on how to make an Image backup..

How to Make a Full HDD Image Backup
    GeorgeV

grits Guest

Progress report not good .... when I clicked on Removal Tool I got an error popup:

Runtime Error
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

I don't have the foggiest idea what it's about.

grits

Progress report not good .... when I clicked on Removal Tool I got an error popup:

Runtime Error
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

I don't have the foggiest idea what it's about.

grits
    I'm sorry for your continued problems..

1.) The Error message you got may be due to a Bad Download of the ZA Removal tool?

Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here <A href="http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe
    " target=_blank>http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

2.) could be an indication of Corruption of some of your Windows OS files?

3.) I would recomend Deleting the ZoneAlarm Removal Tool,

Download this Free Junk & Temporary File cleaner (CCLEANER.EXE)

CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC. Keep your privacy online and offline, and make your computer faster and more secure. Easy to use and a small, fast download.

The latest version of CCleaner is now available for download.
    You may download it now by http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Ccleaner v2.33.1184 (24 Jun 2010)

Then Download a Fresh copy of the ZA Removal tool.

Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator (if on Vista or Win7)" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Then follow this instructions for Re-installing ZAFREE..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 3rd, 2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: update ZA Removal tool
    GeorgeV

Your runtime library may be corrupted, re-install them. From here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information