Thread: MAC/IP address blocking with ZoneAlarm

Hybrid View

UTF16 Guest

Default MAC/IP address blocking with ZoneAlarm

My PC runs on Windows XP sp3. It has an integrated LAN card which I use to connect to internet and a wireless card which I'd like to use to share the internet at home via an ad-hoc network.

Windows XP doesn't offer WPA encyptions for ad-hoc networks and WEP is seriously flawed. I have no interest in buying a wireless router since I am going to share the connection only on special occasions.

I was thinking about improving security by denying any access from machines that have a different MAC or IP address than the approved ones. Would this be possible with the free ZoneAlarm and how effective would that be?

Default Re: MAC/IP address blocking with ZoneAlarm

Hi!
    I am not aware of any MAC filtering in ZA. You can set your LAN as internet (ZA firewall --> zones) and set as trusted only the IPs of the machines you want to allow access.

Both MAC and IP can be faked quite easily, so the above provides little security to your LAN.

As fas as I know Windows XP SP3 provides WPA2 support. It was not the case for previous SP. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

UTF16 Guest

Both MAC and IP can be faked quite easily, so the above provides little security to your LAN
    I thought about that, but there are a couple of aspects one must take into account:

1) even though they can be faked, it takes time for an intruder to figure out what's the problem and to find the correct configuration;

2) Windows usually doesn't allow to connect if these parameters are identical with the ones of another machine in the network.

As fas as I know Windows XP SP3 provides WPA2 support.
    I wish that were true. WPA of any kind doesn't work for ad-hoc.

1 and 2 well, there are automatic tools that sniff in seconds these data. You can easily find them on the net by google it. Depending how sensitive is the data you are dealing with....

I was not aware of this (XP WPA) limitation. Good to know.

Anyway, a free open WIFI is never a good idea. The only measure to have it secured is, as you know, with WPA/AES.

Fax

UTF16 Guest

You can easily find them on the net by google it
    But can you circumvent the IP / MAC address blocking feature? If I only allow one machine to connect with a particular IP / MAC configuration, how could others connect even if they find out the parameters?

I was not aware of this (XP WPA) limitation.
    Well, I am not sure if this is true. I just experimented a bit, and I have two machines connected, and the systems claim WPA/AES encryption is applied. But I have no other computer to check how easy this is to bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by UTF16 View Post
    But can you circumvent the IP / MAC address blocking feature? If I only allow one machine to connect with a particular IP / MAC configuration, how could others connect even if they find out the parameters?
    Yeap, indeed correct. There will be an IP conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by UTF16 View Post
    I just experimented a bit, and I have two machines connected, and the systems claim WPA/AES encryption is applied. But I have no other computer to check how easy this is to bypass.
    If the above is true then there is no way of bypassing it (up to today) unless you have a weak password.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information