Thread: Trouble disabling on start up

JohnScott Guest

Default Trouble disabling on start up

I updated yesterday to ZoneAlarm version:9.2.057.000 , and have not been able to disable ZoneAlarm loading on computer start up.

Win XP home 32bit. I've tried under msconfig, but every time I restart the changes don't take effect.

Also, in - control panel/ Administrator tools / services, Zone alarm is not even listed in the services. Any idea why?

I was able to disable the previous version from loading on start up just fine, what's changed?

Default Re: Trouble disabling on start up

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    I updated yesterday to ZoneAlarm version:9.2.057.000 , and have not been able to disable ZoneAlarm loading on computer start up.

Win XP home 32bit. I've tried under msconfig, but every time I restart the changes don't take effect.

Also, in - control panel/ Administrator tools / services, Zone alarm is not even listed in the services. Any idea why?

I was able to disable the previous version from loading on start up just fine, what's changed?
    Sounds like a Corrupted Install of ZA Free try a Database RESET First,
    then Possibly an Uninstall/Re-install of ZA..

ZA has incorparated a new way to Reset DataBase files so users don't need to go into Safe mode.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that
    this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Did you updated any software in your computer or installed new software recently?

The new update or the new software may conflict with ZA and cause this issue.

***** NOTICE:

Can I manually Start Zone Alarm after Computer Boots up?

"Computers are Expensive pieces of equipment. For the same reasons you lock your home and car (to keep others out), you need to have some type of Firewall & Antivirus protection on your computer. There is an Arms race out there between malware producers and Antivirus software producers. and the War Escalates daily."

Remaining unprotected even for the short period of time it takes to Boot up your computer and manually start ZoneAlarm is a sure-fire way to become collateral damage in this war.

The cost to prevent this and protect yourself is much lower than the cost of replacing your computer and restoring your identity."

I strongly Advise to Keep "Start ZoneAlarm on Startup" checked, unless you are Uninstalling ZoneAlarm..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 23rd, 2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Indeed as GURU GeorveV suggests, ZA can be easily tampered if started manually. If you can't run ZA at boot then better to find an alternatively firewall that you can keep always active.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

JohnScott Guest

Thanks for the replies.

I am not connected to the internet on start up. So disabling on boot wouldn't be a problem.

I will try a database reset.

JohnScott Guest

So I've tried a database reset, ZA still loads on boot after disabling it in msconfig.

Why is ZA not showing up in my services? Seems odd. I see true vector, but disabling is not allowed.

I will roll back to the previous version. Is it available still?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    I am not connected to the internet on start up.
    This does not solve the issue of tampering. Active malware can infect a system on re-boots. Yes, not connected but ZA killed. Overall not good...

But ok... if you are happy we are all happy...

Old versions are here:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/zadownload/

If you do not find the exact number you want, just change it manually in the download link.

Fax
    P.S. and to disable ZA, you do not do it in MSCONFING but in ZA Overview --> preferences --> UNcheck "Load ZA at startup" (on reboot vsmon will not be loaded)
    Last edited by fax; July 30th, 2010 at 12:41 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information