Thread: Security Master AV

Hybrid View

justinlazenby Guest

Default Security Master AV

I had a problem with ZoneAlarm to which I wanted to alert you. Zone Alarm was turned off and we downloaded a virus that installed "Security Master AV" which continually popped up and told us how many critical viruses we had on our computer and the only option was to pay $49.95 to remove them using Security Master AV. It was painfully obvious this was just a virus and a scam.

ZA, however, would not start. Neither would my task manger or Spyware Doctor.

Long story short, it was a pain to remove "Security Master AV." When I would start Zone Alarm, it would report "UI initializing" and then do nothing. I finally downloaded another anti-virus program (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) which removed a series of problem files.

I have the log from Malwarebytes. After removing the files on that list (the log), ZoneAlarm started functioning perfectly again, and so did Task manager and SpywareDoctor. Something(s) on that list was able to completely undermine ZoneAlarm, rendering it useless, and really screw my system up. Yes, yes, I should run ZA all the time to protect myself, but whatever this latest version of Security Master AV is, they have ZA's number.

P.S. I would simply have emailed the fine folks at Zone Alarm with this information, but no email address was to be found. Furthermore the "24 hour" chat session told me I was #1 in the cue...for 7 minutes before I shut it down. Does it have to be so complicated to simply want to help!?

P.P.S. I just tried to include the log in this post and it told me my post was too long. So, if anyone out there in the ZoneAlarm oblivion wants a list of files that can potentially screw up their fine program, free of charge, and provided completely out of good will, email me, and I'll consider sending it to you. Last time I try to help.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Security Master AV rogue/ scareware

There are over a 100 variations of these types of "rogue/ scareware" malware circulating the internet; all trying to bypass most security software. Once they are able to stealthily pop-up they will try to render your firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware useless and prevent them from updating and from you installing any new legitimate security software and will sometimes prevent you from using 'task manager.'

Generally you should: not click any link from the pop-up's/ boxes not even the "(red) X / Close button" to normally shut it off (sometimes that X button = their false link to download more malware which is not what you want). And of course don't buy the rogue scareware thinking that it will stop the pop-ups.

Recommended: immediately...
    - enter Windows 'task manager' to shut off all "Applications"/ web pages running, or
    - press keys > 'Ctrl' and 'Alt' and 'Delete' < together at the same time, or
    - press hold/ keys > 'Alt' and 'F4' keys (F4 = single key usually at the top of keyboard) or 'Ctrl' and 'F4' keys.

- if you have a stand-alone ForceField or ZoneAlarm Extreme Suite (not to be confused with the ForceField toolbar of the rest of the ZA line of firewalls {ZA Free/ ZA Pro/ ZA Anti-Virus/ ZA Suite}) > with 'Browser Security' click/ open > Settings > Advanced > Virtualization > simply click "Clear Virtual Data" > OK - this will clear all open "virtual" browser pages, boxes, pop-ups providing extra security.

- you may use this Malware Clean-up guide with your ZA firewall - click here > http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthread.php?t=70448
    __________________________________________________ __________

Here is additional information/ removal of SecurityMaster scareware from Bleepingcomputer.com - click here > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...rity-master-av
    __________________________________________________ _______

ZoneAlarm does have extra steps that can protect against these types of attacks- they recommend the use of the full browser security tool of the stand-alone "ForceField" virtual browser or the top-of-line 'ZoneAlarm Extreme Suite.' With both you can 'clear virtual data' and wipe out the entire browser/ pop-up's/ boxes without the malware really infecting your real pc.

-ZoneAlarm ForceField > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...r-security.htm

- ZoneAlarm Extreme Suite > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-security.htm
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    NaiveMelody - NYC - 7-23-10 - Hotel California - The Eagles
    Last edited by naivemelody; July 24th, 2010 at 07:31 PM.

findley Guest

Default Re: Security Master AV

Quote Originally Posted by justinlazenby View Post
    I had a problem with ZoneAlarm to which I wanted to alert you. Zone Alarm was turned off and we downloaded a virus that installed "Security Master AV" which continually popped up and told us how many critical viruses we had on our computer and the only option was to pay $49.95 to remove them using Security Master AV. It was painfully obvious this was just a virus and a scam.

ZA, however, would not start. Neither would my task manger or Spyware Doctor.

Long story short, it was a pain to remove "Security Master AV." When I would start Zone Alarm, it would report "UI initializing" and then do nothing. I finally downloaded another anti-virus program (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) which removed a series of problem files.

I have the log from Malwarebytes. After removing the files on that list (the log), ZoneAlarm started functioning perfectly again, and so did Task manager and SpywareDoctor. Something(s) on that list was able to completely undermine ZoneAlarm, rendering it useless, and really screw my system up. Yes, yes, I should run ZA all the time to protect myself, but whatever this latest version of Security Master AV is, they have ZA's number.

P.S. I would simply have emailed the fine folks at Zone Alarm with this information, but no email address was to be found. Furthermore the "24 hour" chat session told me I was #1 in the cue...for 7 minutes before I shut it down. Does it have to be so complicated to simply want to help!?

P.P.S. I just tried to include the log in this post and it told me my post was too long. So, if anyone out there in the ZoneAlarm oblivion wants a list of files that can potentially screw up their fine program, free of charge, and provided completely out of good will, email me, and I'll consider sending it to you. Last time I try to help.
    There is no indication whether you are using just za free firewall, ZAPro or ZASS or ZAX, but with your security turned off, your system may be more compromised than just the Security Master AV which is sited in your post. Are you sure you are completely malware free? Maybe a rootkit you don't know about or more?

You may be interested in So How Did I Get Infected and you may also be interested in working with a malware expert to determine the overall health of your computer such as is offered by malware removal forums like spywarehammer. If interested, see their guide How to Create and Post a HijackThis log

Findley

Default Re: Security Master AV

Hello

ZoneAlarm has never had an email address ever published on our web site for over 9 years for support purposes.

Today we provide support in the english language via live chat.

Its faster than waiting 3 days each time an email is sent and replied to.
    Chats on average are 12 mins and over 95% are resolved in the first chat.

Sometimes depending on the time of day there may only be a few techs able to chat so even if your # 1 in the queue you will need to wait.

You will get help just be patient, we will get to you.

Best regards
    Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information