Thread: XP security updates

John111 Guest

Default XP security updates

I have been unable to install XP security updates (even manually) since installing ZA. I get an error message unable to verify integrity of update.inf- make sure Cryptographic services are started. I have tried working with MS support but so far it has been a waste of time. I have Googled up several work a rounds. They involve, for instance, renaming a file but I cannot do that as I get error message- program in use.
    One suggests I rename a program called catroot2 after I stop cryptographic services. I am unable to stop cryptographic services as it is being used by True Vector.
    I am not a PC pro but I am judging there maybe a conflict between ZA and XP on this issue. Anyone with this experience? How do I temporally stop stop True Vector so I can temporarily stop cryptographic services to try the fix? Thanks John

Default Re: XP security updates

Quote Originally Posted by John111 View Post
    I have been unable to install XP security updates (even manually) since installing ZA. I get an error message unable to verify integrity of update.inf- make sure Cryptographic services are started. I have tried working with MS support but so far it has been a waste of time. I have Googled up several work a rounds. They involve, for instance, renaming a file but I cannot do that as I get error message- program in use.
    One suggests I rename a program called catroot2 after I stop cryptographic services. I am unable to stop cryptographic services as it is being used by True Vector.
    I am not a PC pro but I am judging there maybe a conflict between ZA and XP on this issue. Anyone with this experience? How do I temporally stop stop True Vector so I can temporarily stop cryptographic services to try the fix? Thanks John
    Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Whenever posting here, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit),

List your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme)

and ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1,9.2),

Please List Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop,

Also List any other Security Programs installed. these files may be Conflicting with Zone Alarm.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

John111 Guest

Thanks for the reply. My system

XP SP3 32bit
    Free ZA 9.2.057.000
    Compaq desktop, AMD Sempron 3200+
    Ccleaner, AVG free, Spybot, Malwarebytes Antimalware, Spyblaster. I believe I still have MS firewall on the pc but disabled.

John

John111 Guest

I found a good MS tech and spent a long time on the phone to resolve the issue.
    It is a conflict with ZA and eventually I had to unistall ZA to get the ms security updates to work.
    Software conflicts happen, I think ZA is a excellent program and Free, and I will continue to use it. John

mjsignaller Guest

Question Re: XP security updates

Is there an update from Zonelabs on this problem? I have had this problem again today with the August 2010 Microsoft Updates for Windows XP.

My computer is a desktop (custom-built) with an Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz CPU, running Windows XP SP3 fully updated, with Zonealarm Free 9.2.057, fully-updated AVG 9.0.851 and with Spy-bot Resident running.

Microsoft Update showed 16 updates to download, 6 worked fine but the other 10 kept failing (MS error 0x8007F0DA). Following the suggestions on the MS Support site, I eventually tried to renamed the Catroot2 folder only to find that I was not able to do this as I needed to stop the True Vector service first.

Working on a hunch from this information, I decided to take a chance on running the Microsoft Update download with Zonealarm shut down and relying on the Windows firewall for that short time.

It worked successfully on the first attempt. It seems that the problem lies with some aspect of Zonealarm 9.2.057 as the problems only started when I upgraded from the previous version.

mjsignaller
    Last edited by mjsignaller; August 11th, 2010 at 06:28 AM.

Thread Information