Thread: blue screen

IngeSv Guest

Default blue screen

I've used latest version of ZoneAlarm Free firewall with Windows 7 64 bit. The debugger told me the blue screen was caused but vsmon.exe, so I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and the frequent blue screens and freezes are gone.

Default Re: blue screen

You need to install three Windows 7 hotfixes before installing ZA, these will solve any OS related BSOD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976759
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979278
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981889

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

petetheoldmanse Guest

having struggled for some time with ever frequent BSOD, until finally it would happen within minutes of logging on, these fixes seem to have cracked it. Note the first one seems to have expired - or been superceded as on my laptop it came up with a message that it was not applicable.

Thanks, indeed there are bugs in windows that hamper the work of third party firewalls with specific functions. MS will fix this in windows 7 SP1 meanwhile they issued these patches to deal with the most serious problems.

It is normal that some of them may not apply to your setup. The installer will inform you.

Cheers,
    Fax

kleemo Guest

Is it ok to install ZA Pro (that includes kb981889), uninstall it and finally install ZA free? I'm asking because it looks like I'd have to request hotfix from Microsoft otherwise. And according to summary of kb981889 it rollups 976759, 979278 and 979223 if I understand correctly.

---------------------------------------------------
    Here is my story for those who have similar problems:
    I have been using ZA free for years. Now I've Win 7 64 bit and at first it was ok but after the first month I got my first restarts. They were usually blue screen but sometimes mouse and keyboard just freezed. Usually restarts happen when computer was in idle or I was watching flash videos.

As mentioned above BSOD:s came ever frequent and finally my computer stayed up for just a couple of minutes. Well, I finally figured out that it was ZA that caused the restarts so now I'm running Windows without ZA and it's fine.

caminos Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kleemo View Post
    Is it ok to install ZA Pro (that includes kb981889), uninstall it and finally install ZA free? I'm asking because it looks like I'd have to request hotfix from Microsoft otherwise. And according to summary of kb981889 it rollups 976759, 979278 and 979223 if I understand correctly.

I have been using ZA free for years. Now I've Win 7 64 bit and at first it was ok but after the first month I got my first restarts. They were usually blue screen but sometimes mouse and keyboard just freezed. Usually restarts happen when computer was in idle or I was watching flash videos.

As mentioned above BSOD:s came ever frequent and finally my computer stayed up for just a couple of minutes. Well, I finally figured out that it was ZA that caused the restarts so now I'm running Windows without ZA and it's fine.
    Well I have the same exact issue as you (I started a thread just yesterday). Getting the hotfix from Microsoft is no big deal. They just need your email address to send the link to, and that's it. If you're thinking of installing ZA Pro JUST for the hotfix then I think it's pointless. However in my experience the hotfix wasn't a permanent measure, because my blue screens started coming back after joining a different wireless network. What I've done now is I have also disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP (details here). I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that that will eliminate the BSODs completely but it's only been a day so far so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by kleemo View Post

Yes, just install the roll-up and then install ZA.

Fax

Thread Information