Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slow booting after update

Markus36 Guest

Default slow booting after update

Hi, I recently updated ZA on my desktop and itnow takes several minute to boot. First the welcom screen is displayed for some time, than the background pic for even longer. When I did the update it said something about the desktop being a bit sower for some time as ZA needed to get to know the programms I had installed but I did not expect that much of a delay, so I clicked ok. How do I fix it? Uninstall-reboot-new instal-reboot or is there an easier way? THX!

Default Re: slow booting after update

Hi!

try to follow the standard troubleshooting procedure as suggested here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=74886

Different problem but same suggestion to try to understand if any culprit is involved in the slow down.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Markus36 Guest

THX, I tried the reset and it did not work, I uninstalled ZA and the comp was booting normally, I installed ZA and it was slow go again. Iīm afraid the latest version of ZA and XP -which I just updated- have unresolved issues. CPU usage is normal, usage by ZA is none acc.to the Task Manager, I run XP Home, Service Pack3, AMD Sempron 2800+, 2 GB RAM, 4 GB free HDD space, not sure about the 32-bit thing. Next thing Iīll try is uninstall and doing all the program settings manually after reinstall. And last but not least, when is the next update due and how good is the XP firewall? Just for the time till the update, I donīt want to "cheat" on ZA, which so far never caused any trouble?

Did you tried to boot the PC selectively as suggested? This can be sometimes helpful to know if third party software with ZA is involved in the slow down. Have you excluded ZA main files from your antivirus? Have you tried to install ZA without the toolbar? These are all steps to better diagnose the source of the problem.

There is no known issue of slowdown, so even when a new release will be issued it is unlikely to solve your problem. No idea here on the next free version of ZA. Since it was just released you may need to wait some months for a new one.

Thanks,
    Fax

Markus36 Guest

Not yet tried selective booting. AntiVir checks all files. Toolbar was not installed.

Markus36 Guest

I think I got the culprit!

I reinstalled ZA, this time not allowing the installed programs to be scanned and the PC booted normally. Then I gave it another try and connected the LAN cable and it booted very slowly, so I booted once more with the router switched off and viola fast again. The router is a Teledat 331.

Funny thing is ZA on my netbook works with the router turned on.

I have seen this happening if there is no internet connection on the LAN, is this the case?

Markus36 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    I have seen this happening if there is no internet connection on the LAN, is this the case?
    ??? Sorry, I donīt fully understand what you mean. When the router is switched on the pc boots very slowly, when itīs off it boots fast, while the netbook works ok no matter if the router is on or off.

I mean the router is connected to an active internet connection? Other users have reported that if the router is ON but without internet, ZA wait for the connection to the "outside world" and if there is no signal it will drop it after sometime (delay).

May be is not your case.

Cheers,
    Fax

Markus36 Guest

I have just one pc at home, so there would not be an active internet connection until after the pc has booted and I connect to t-online.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information