Thread: Problems with ZA Extreme, ver. 9.3.14

luvmaui Guest

Default Problems with ZA Extreme, ver. 9.3.14

I peviously posted a message about huge problems with the latest version on my Windows XP, SP3 desktop. IE8 virtually quit working when I installed 9.3.14. Everything on the computer slowed to a crawl with lots of hang-ups on programs. I uninstalled (as suggested by Guru GeorgeV) and reinstalled the new version -- twice. Same result both times.

I've finally gone back to the old version 9.0.114 and everything is fine again.

I like to keep updated but this clearly doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas?.......PJ

Default Re: Problems with ZA Extreme, ver. 9.3.14

Please Click on the Official Tech Support Live Chat link (Free for users of the Paid product) in my signature..

Provide them with deatails of your Computer, Software installed, and Type and version of Zone alarm and explain exactly what the problem is and how they may try to duplicate the problem so they can test for it on their Test computers..

Last edited by GeorgeV; August 6th, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

iamjmbb Guest

i have the same problem, ...i have win XP, but with sp2, and not sp3, and i use firefox ...which it also slowed down! the biggest problem was that it made my computer 10-12 minutes to boot, each time, it would hang on every step, but especially while populating the desktop icons! i installed, and uninstalled 5 times, and even used the tool that george suggested on another thread [ http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=74646 ]... this is the cleaners link. but the instructions are at the link before this one, [http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe ], but nothing was working ...so, i finally removed it[ 9.3.14 ], and reinstalled [ 9.1.008.000 ], which worked great ...Again!
    another odd point was before i'd even ran the updates after reinstallation, it found a virus which the newer version didn't!
    oddly, suddenly while using 9.3.14, i kept getting hit with viruses, which it not only didn't stop, but then also couldn't find them when i did repeated scans, so i had to resort to malwarebytes, which found some, but not all, which i then had to also use super-antispyware, which found lots!
    i've been running zonealarm [paid] for 4-5 years ...on three computers, all have the same software, all are win XP with sp2, and this one is the only machine that has a problem with the upgrade!
    one last oddity, with zonealarm completely removed, my computer boots in 2 min, but with zonealarm it's 4-5 minutes, and i didn't realize how much it dragged my system ...now, that's a dilemma!!!
    Not a happy camper!
    ps, one of the viruses was [ updpxe32.exe ] which disabled zonealarm except in safe mode, but zonealarm still couldn't find it!
    psps, i just realized that the one i'm having problems with is win XP home edition, while the other 2 are XP professional! ...it's the only real difference between them.
    that's all i remember, and it's all fading fast!

Quote Originally Posted by iamjmbb View Post
    i have the same problem, ...i have win XP, but with sp2, and not sp3, and i use firefox ...which it also slowed down! the biggest problem was that it made my computer 10-12 minutes to boot, each time, it would hang on every step, but especially while populating the desktop icons! i installed, and uninstalled 5 times, and even used the tool that George suggested on another thread [ http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=74646 ]... this is the cleaners link. but the instructions are at the link before this one, [http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

], but nothing was working ...so, i finally removed it[ 9.3.14 ], and reinstalled [ 9.1.008.000 ], which worked great ...Again!
    another odd point was before I'd even ran the updates after re-installation, it found a virus which the newer version didn't!
    oddly, suddenly while using 9.3.14, i kept getting hit with viruses, which it not only didn't stop, but then also couldn't find them when i did repeated scans, so i had to resort to malwarebytes, which found some, but not all, which i then had to also use super-antispyware, which found lots!
    I've been running zone alarm [paid] for 4-5 years ...on three computers, all have the same software, all are win XP with sp2, and this one is the only machine that has a problem with the upgrade!
    one last oddity, with zonealarm completely removed, my computer boots in 2 min, but with zonealarm it's 4-5 minutes, and i didn't realize how much it dragged my system ...now, that's a dilemma!!!
    Not a happy camper!
    ps, one of the viruses was [ updpxe32.exe ] which disabled zonealarm except in safe mode, but zonealarm still couldn't find it!
    psps, i just realized that the one i'm having problems with is win XP home edition, while the other 2 are XP professional! ...it's the only real difference between them.
    that's all i remember, and it's all fading fast!
    First off you are Running a version of windows XP SP2 that is no longer supported by Microsoft..

Microsoft Ends Windows XP SP2 Support
    UPDATE Windows XP to SP3 Now...

As of July 13, 2010, Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP SP2,

However Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) Microsoft will probably continue to issue important security updates for a couple more years (2014).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ice-pack-3-sp3

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win....aspx?os=WinXP

======================

No version of Zone Alarm can protect your from the 200 Plus Flaws, Holes and Security Problems found in Win XP SP2 until your Fully Update WinXP to service Pack three plus dozens of additional Post SP3 fixes.

as a Paid user of Zone Alarm, you can Contact ZA Tech support Live chat
    But in order for them to help you, they will ask you to Update WinXP First,

then Update Zone Alarm to 9.3.014, as they can no longer Fix any bugs or problems in older versions of Zone Alarm..
    If you still have problems with ZA 9.3.014 on Win XP SP3, then they can collect Log files from you to try and diagnose the problem..

======= Finally ===================

Please Click on the Official Tech Support Live Chat link (Free for users of the Paid product) in my signature..

Provide them with details of your Computer, Software installed, and Type and version of Zone Alarm and explain exactly what the problem is and how they may try to duplicate the problem so they can test for it on their Test computers..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 3rd, 2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: fix typo and update ZA Removal tool
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information