Thread: Datalock and Acronis Trueimage Home 2010

MazP Guest

Default Datalock and Acronis Trueimage Home 2010

I have read enough on these forums to make me rather nervous about installing Datalock as it appears the user can be left with an unusable laptop. But I am also very concerned about how Datalock works (or not) with backup softwared such as Trueimage (T).

There are clearly issues with respect to hard drive encryption per se and backup software, see here.

I want to be sure before I install Datalock that

a) It will install without problems on my new Sony VPCEBM02 Windows 7 Home Premium laptop and

b) That when I use Trueimeage to create backkups of my system Datalock will in no way interfere with me restoring my laptop from those backups. (I have one hard drive, partitioned into C (operating system) and D (my data) plus the out of the box Sony Recovery partition.

I have contacted live chat about this but we ended up going round in circles. What ZA need to do is test Datalock against the operating system and Trueimage I outline above and confirm to their customers that the two software products are totally compatible.

Default Re: Datalock and Acronis Trueimage Home 2010

Sorry we all user here, ZA staff does not monitor this board systematically. Considering that Acronis has dedicated KB articles on the issue it is probably better trying their support if you have not received any answer from ZA directly.

Unless there are users using both (reading this section) you are unlikely to get any response here. Since regardless of the compatibility between the two software. No one can ensure you 100% that there will be no problem under your specific set-up (as for any software).

If you don't get feedback from Acronis too, the only solution will be to have a full image done before trying the combination.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

MazP Guest

Thanks. I did contact Acronis and the usual story which I am sure you can guess about "our product, their product" etc. Re. Restoring from a full backup prior to installing Datalock; the thing about that is that I would then be trying to revert an unencrypted image back on to an encrypted disk and who knows what problems might then ensue .

If you have a full image of the system, what ever happens you should be able to remove datalock, reformat and reinstall the image. If you have still doubts in this case then... I am not sure you are ready for an encryption software.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

When a drive is fully encrypted image backups will not work nor image restores generally.

We only suggest file backup and restores.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information