Thread: Installation prolems and removal problems.

LornaGregory Guest

Default Installation problems and removal problems.

Hi,
    I tried to install zonealarm free last night. It did not install properly, so I tried to remove it. It did not remove properly so I tried to reinstall it. After reinstalling the internet was working fine. I decided to check if my VPN connection would work. Unfortunately it didn't. So I reinstalled that. I still didn't work so I uninstalled both. I then reinstalled VPN (firewall setting mismatch). It still would not connect.

Eventually I had a problem with a file called cpes_clean_launcher which came up telling me to restart every time I restarted. At some point I deleted all instances of this file. My VPN still didn't work and I could not access the internet but my computer still had internet connection.

Since then I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling Zonealarm again.

I can now access the internet intermittently when Zone alarm is running but still can't get VPN to work. I value VPN access higher than having a firewall (Zone alarm did not turn off windows firewall when it installed).

Any idea how I could rid my machine of it (and get my VPN client working again)?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
    Last edited by LornaGregory; August 9th, 2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes.

LornaGregory Guest

Default Re: Installation prolems and removal problems.

I've looked at other posts and I guess you want to know what operating system I am using. I am using XP home edition with service pack 3. I had an AVG virus guard. My VPN client is made by cisco. I also had something called rapport on my computer that my bank asked me to install.

I have uninstalled the virus guard, VPN client and rapport. I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling Zonealarm again. This time it told me "you do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications, please rerun this installation from an administrators account". I am an admin (in fact the only user). I have since created a new user who is an administrator and exactly the same thing happened.

Any help?

LornaGregory Guest

I followed these instructions and it seems to have worked:
    http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...96&action=view

I have been able to re-install AVG and VPN and both seem to be working.

I really suspect it has something to do with the VPN client. I read somewhere that both Zonealarm and Cisco VPN both use vsdatant.sys. Is it possible that this is the conflict? I would really like to know in case I ever decide to install another firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by LornaGregory View Post
    I read somewhere that both Zonealarm and Cisco VPN both use vsdatant.sys. Is it possible that this is the conflict? I would really like to know in case I ever decide to install another firewall.
    Not anymore as far as I am aware. The normal workaround to make VPN to work was to install ZA before the VPN software but this may not apply to version 9.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information