Thread: [WORKAROUND] Also Found new network --> Remove Third Party Utilities

jimll Guest

Thumbs up [WORKAROUND] Also Found new network --> Remove Third Party Utilities

Running Free version. In the last week or three it started popping up a notice saying "Found new network," several times a day or week, which it has never done before in several years. When I click to ignore it, it pops up another demand for info on the non-existent network which popup cannot be ignored, closed or gotten rid of short of shutting down the machine - then it may do it again. I have no network. I've already done the "reset cure" with no effect.

Is this a bug in the latest update?

JimLL

jealousmonk Guest

Default Re: Also Found new network

I'm having this issue too. I rebooted my router and repaired the wireless network connection for my laptop and a ZA window popped up informing me that a new network was being added. Its ip is 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0. I set it to "internet zone."

I then checked my desktop and saw there was an identical entry set to "trusted zone."

On both computers I have ip ranges 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255 set as trusted which I set up when I first installed ZA. That seemed to work fine but now there is this new "network" that I cannot delete though I can change its zone designation.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Hello,

Is the IP address it detects each time the same IP address?

Do you check the box to rememeber the setting?

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jimll Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    Hello,

Is the IP address it detects each time the same IP address?

Do you check the box to rememeber the setting?

Forum Moderator
    I didn't write it down, but I think it was the same every time and the same as what jealousmonk posted. I'll have a chance to check it out in a few minutes I'm sure.

JimLL

NelsonHouse Guest

I have been suffering the same "New Network Found" issue (Private Wireless Network Found) after boot up or restart, since updating to Zone Alarm Free 9.2.057.000. The network found is always my Netgear ADSL Router: 192.168.0.0. You have to accept this network in order to continue, if put into the trusted zone it does not appear, but this home network range is already there as 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0. This only happens with the PC which uses wireless to connect to the router, my other PC on LAN connection to router is OK. If I disable the wireless USB device, there is no new network found message until the wireless dongle is enabled again (but obviously no network or internet either!). The wireless USB device is a Netgear WN111, using Netgear software which gives the option upon installation to disable Windows Wireless Zero Configuration and use the Netgear software. The wireless devices are 802.11n, so need the Netgear software to use their full capability. Both PCs are similar WindowsXP SP3 on Gigabyte motherboards. I have not tried using WZC instead to see if the problem is still there when not using the wireless USB's own software. Does any of this help get closer to eliminating this issue?

Just use the zero configuration one and you should not have the problem. I have the same usb adapter and it works fine.

Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

For n standard you don't need the software but the driver alteady installed and an xp that is fully patched.

NelsonHouse Guest

I'm trying Wireless Zero Configuration instead of the Netgear software for the WN111 wireless device and have not received the persistent "New Network Found" message so far. However, this is not really a cure, as all previous versions of Zone Alarm did not cause this symptom. The Netgear software is the default for this device and gives more information and control. And it appears that other manufacturers' wireless devices also exhibit a similar problem.
    Fax, if you have the same wireless device, then the symptoms should be reproducible for Zone Labs/Checkpoint to investigate by using the device's own supplied software. I have read on Zone Alarm forums that they cannot simulate this problem, but there seem to be many people suffering from this issue. I look forward to a fix in the next Zone Alarm release version.

Sorry, I personally found neatgear quite useless and never used it. It slow down the booting of the connection and provide little value. So I am the wrong user to address the issue.

Since ZA free offer no support I can't suggest another solution.

Fax

irmaisfot Guest

Running Free 9.2.057 on XP SP3 updated, I installed a LevelOne wireless adapter. After that, this New network window started to show up every reboot. (Judging from the many questions in this forum, I hope they take this problem seriously!)

I uninstalled the LevelOne utility, as recommended here in the forum, but it did not help running the windows utility; still the same window every reboot.

I tried re-installing ZA, but no luck.

I thought that there might be some traces of the LevelOne utility, even though it was uninstalled? And as it happens, I have a dual boot setup on my computer, with another XP install, also with ZA.

To be on the very safe side, I shut it down and removed the USB adapter. Booted to the second XP system and installed _only_ the LevelOne drivers this time. Plugged in the adapter, configured the wireless and everything was fine! No annoying window after reboot! Yes!!!

Well, thought that my primary XP install was ruined, and swithed back to that one.

But to my surprise, as I booted to the original, primary XP system, the window was gone!?!?

I don't really know how I did it, or if I could reproduce it, but somehow the repeated New network is gone.

The only thing I can think of is that I had the adapter physically disconnected. Maybe it got re-initialized after that?

So, to all of you out there with the annoying New network window: have hope, keep trying!

/Håkan, Sweden

Thread Information