Thread: ZASS 9.3.014.000 update deletes settings and can't create new settings!

illpoetic Guest

Angry ZASS 9.3.014.000 update deletes settings and can't create new settings!

I was forced to upgrade my Zone Alarm on an XP machine (fully patched), to version 9.3.014.000. When I did the upgrade, I lost all my firewall rules. I tried to restore a backup, it got 80 percent of the way through, the suddenly reboots. Did it again, same thing. I tried to create new rules, when I click the APPLY button, to save them, SUDDEN REBOOT. I removed Zone Alarm, rebooted, reinstalled, same problem. What is going on here?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 11th, 2010 at 03:40 PM.

Default Re: ZASS 9.3.014.000 update deletes settings and can't create new settings!

Quote Originally Posted by illpoetic View Post
    What is going on here?
    Usually means corrupted backup.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

illpoetic Guest

Default Re: ZASS 9.3.014.000 update deletes settings and can't create new settings!

Can't be a corrupted backup, I used that backup to restore on a ghost image of this machine, previously. Plus, when I install Zone alarm, from scratch, I can't import the backup so I try to create new rules or anything that you have to hit the APPLY button for, and it automatically reboots the PC to post!

Then time to report to ZA technical support. So that it can be troubleshooted and logged properly. Thanks!
    Last edited by fax; August 11th, 2010 at 11:40 PM.

illpoetic Guest

It's a bug! I just tried this on the other 2 PCs that I have, with this latest version of ZONE ALARM EXTREME. See if you can reproduce this.

Create a rule where you make a GROUP of protocols that you want to block, any protocols, just make a group. Now, when you go to APPLY that rule, CRASH!!!! On my other 2 PCs, I get blue screen of death and

Stop:0x000000f7... VSDATANT.SYS errors.

Zone Alarm on my computer I wrote this thread about, doesn't give the blue screen, just reboots but I was doing the SAME exact even, adding a GROUP of protocols to use in a rule. The imported file I tried to import, must get to that point to add the groups of protocols I created, and that's when it crashes to. How do I escalate this to zone alarm?

Quote Originally Posted by illpoetic View Post
    How do I escalate this to zone alarm?
    As already indicated you need to contact the official ZA technical support at the link in my signature. Explain in detail the issue, including all the steps to reproduce it.
    BTW, tried to create a group of protocols, applied in a new rule and works perfectly fine. The group did not crash ZA and the rule worked fine blocking protocols.

May be support will be able to replicate? You need to follow-up with them to have chance to fix the issue. No use to keep posting here.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 14th, 2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: added result of the grouping test

Thread Information