Thread: vsmon.exe eats 100% cpu capcity

pcdubu Guest

Default vsmon.exe eats 100% cpu capcity

Same deal for me, updated ZASS (use XP SP3 and IE8)
    No change other than ZASS update now CPU hogged by vsmon.exe
    ZASS tries to update when PC boots - takes about 4-5 minutes resting at 0% then proceeds, at end takes 4-5 minutes to end.
    IE screens take 4-5 minutes to refresh
    Close ZASS and PC runs as usual like a dream
    Turn ZASS on - disaster again

Default Re: vsmon.exe eats 100% cpu capcity

Hello,
    please browse this forum there are few threads about how to troubleshoot the issue. If not, please contact ZA technical support directly at the link in my signature.

This is normally due to OS not in shape, not enough RAM available to ZA, corrupted OS settings, corrupted ZA settings, etc.. etc... If it is a ZA problem then you will be able to troubleshoot it via support.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dsga Guest

Cool Re: vsmon.exe eats 100% cpu capcity

Hey --

for whatever reason, most of the threads on vsmon.exe and related performance problem have been closed and people unable to provide updates to other recommendations posted on this forum.

I too experienced similar problems with v9.3xx (on both XP_x86 and Win7_x64 -- 4-8GB RAM).

excessive CPU utilization by vsmon during downloads
    applications "freeze" for 2-10sec due to disk I/O being paused while vsmon scanning related application files, etc.

there are various threads on this topic. one particular thread that I can't locate anymore was from poster who had communication with Zone support. Support is aware of the issue.

I 100% guarantee all the vsmon.exe issues I detail above will be resolved by roll-back to v9.1.008.000. Granted, this particular version likely has older Kaspersky AV engine -- with likely less-than-effective malware protection, but it really comes down to whether you want computer to be useful tool or a source of massive annoyance because of Zone v9.3+.

Just do a "clean" uninstall (which kicks off cpes... utility on next reboot to purge files and registry). update uninstall shortcut with '/clean' (no tick) at end of command.

locate v9.1.008.000 and you'll be fine.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

Hi!
    just to clarify some potentially misleading statments. /clean is not anymore necessary. Latest releases do /clean by default.

We do not recommend to move to old versions since will both provide no means for official support to fix the issue and provide sub-optimal protection for users. These type of recommandation (go back to old versions) are either removed or a clear disclaimer is accompained to it (this take times for all the volunteers here).

First priority is to report the issues to ZA technical support. They will try to troubleshoot the problem providing several steps to perform. This is essential to fix the issue or to give the possibility to support to escalate the issue to developers and collect logs.

If at the end there is no way to fix the problem then better to ask for refund or shift to another product that works on your system.

Hope this clarify the issue.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 21st, 2010 at 06:29 AM.

globalvoyager Guest

Hi folks,

Same problem here:
    ZAP is installed on my 5 computers, running either on WIN XP or WIN 7.
    I am lucky to have a broadband internet access of 20 mbits/s.
    When I am downloading a file with ZAP disabled, I have an effective download speed of 16,2 mbits/s.
    When I do so with ZAP enabled, the speed drops down to about 14 mbits/s.
    And this on all 5 computers, be it WIN XP or WIN 7, IE8 or Firefox.
    During the download, vsmon.exe is using between 25 and 65 PC of my CPU's, depending on what CPU is used.
    The paradox is that my laptop with a weaker Intel Core Duo L2400 is less stressed (20%) than my Desktop with
    an Intel Core Duo E8600 (65%).
    And I do confirm that the culprit is vsmon.exe on all 5 machines.
    Forgot to say that the ZAP version is 9.3.037, but previous versions showed the same symptoms
    Last edited by globalvoyager; September 22nd, 2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to say that the ZAP version is 9.3.037, but previous versions showed the same symptoms

Hi!

Sorry the subject of this thread is 100% CPU use. What you describe can normal or possible depending on the specific PC setup (ZA adapt to the system, less resources available/ less resources used). Vsmon is the main firewall and antivirus driver. Traffic is filtered and checked.

The issue is not CPU used or MB used but if you system are impacted by vsmon. I.e. Program locking, not running, running slow, etc. If you think you have something wrong happening on the machines then please write directly to ZA technical support and check with them.

For issue related to vsmon see here:
    VSMON eats up resources and freezes PC

For issue related to bandswitch see here:
    Internet connection speed dropping of by 50%

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 22nd, 2010 at 08:15 AM.

glienesch Guest

I've had the same problem but was able to fix it. I'm running ZA Extreme Security on an 800 MHz single core processor, and Windows XP. My fix: in the Firewall > Main > Internet Zone Security section, click Custom. UNcheck 'Allow broadcast/multicast.' There should be no check marks left. Click Apply then OK.

I previously got 100% CPU utilization for 10 minutes or longer shortly after startup. Now that doesn't happen.

-Gary-

globalvoyager Guest

Hi fax,

Thanks for the links concerning the cpu usage and download speed restrictions, but they are of no help i'm afraid.
    The thing is that vsmon is using 65 % of an Intel E8600 CPU (which is starting to get close to 100%), slowing down the download speed by about 12%, while on the other hand my antivirus is only using about 7 to 10 % during that same download without any additional slow down.
    Concerning the programs: all programs I have installed are allowed internet access, as I know them all to be save. I cannot think of any special program setting in ZAP settings that might interfere with an NVidia graphic card pilot download.
    Sorry by the way for posting this in the wrong topic, but it seemed close enough to me. I'm not expecting a miracle, I just thought it was useful being mentioned.
    My Desktop computer configuration in case it interests you:
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4 motherboard
    Intel E8600 CPU
    4 GB of DDR2 RAM
    MSI N260GTX+T2D896-OC Graphic card
    1TB Seagate Hard drive
    OS is Windows XP Professional
    Last edited by globalvoyager; September 28th, 2010 at 08:09 PM.

Hi!

please try to troubleshoot the issue directly with official technical support (link in my signature). They will ask you to go throught a series of steps to try to detect the issue at your end. There are no known CPU issues with vsmon and you need to work out why and what is causing this on the system.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information