Thread: ZA wants to check for updates - option is set to MANUAL

Default ZA wants to check for updates - option is set to MANUAL

ZA Security Suite 9.1.507.000
    Windows XP

The update process is driving me crazy. I have Check for updates set to automatically, which is fine, I would like to know when there is an update. However, the update is also automatically being installed without my permission.

I'm not sure if it is new version updates or virus updates, but what happens if there is other big activity going on with my computer, it is like the za update and the other activity get into some sort of deadly embrace and it can take a fairly long time to update and really slows my PC down - always at the worst possible time of course.

Is there a way for the check for updates to happen automatically, but the install updates to happen when it is convenient for me?

Thanks.

Default Re: ZA wants to check for updates - option is set to MANUAL

Hi!
    please contact ZA support for a complete troubleshooting. You seem to have many problems judging from the amount of posts and its really better you get dedicated support from ZA offices and keep troubleshooting with them. My guess is that your system (or software installed) or ZA may not like each other and persisting in its use may not be the best for you.

Link to support is provided in my signature. Contact them when they are online so they can assist you on the spot.

Thanks and good luck!!
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I really don't think this is considered a bug, although I certainly consider it one and the problem does seem to be wide spread.

We need za to be able to check for updates and inform us if there is an update on a continual basis and then give the option to either install them automatically or have us choose when to install.

I noticed this again today when my PC slowed to a crawl, making it unusable for a period of time while ZA processes updates.

Apparently the only option is to either go have coffee at what ever inconvenient time ZA chooses to apply updates or turn the automatic update off completely, which I'd prefer not to do, and then somehow remember to check for updates on a regular basis.

~SNIP~
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 12th, 2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Comment beyond the Scope of "Terms of Use" of Forum

Quote Originally Posted by denverdave View Post
    I hope ZA keeps in touch with its customers issues by monitoring this forum. It is not hard to find za users with this issue.
    No, we are all users here. You need to contact support as already suggested.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rivrbend Guest

Hi DenverDave,
    Did you ever get an answer? I am having the exact same problem to the point that I am disabling ZA so I can continue working. I have only had this proble since I downloaded the latest verstion of ZA.
    Going crazy in Sacramento,
    Rivrbend

Interaction with support - support was good / excellent - product feature is not
    = = = = =
    [Me]: There is an option to check for updates or not - which is good. However, once check for updates the updates are forced on us without option. Sometimes updates are fine, but other times when on the phone with a client locks up PC for several minutes.

[Me]: Is there a way for ZoneAlarm to identify that there is an update available automatically and let me know but not force an install at an inconvenient time. Others have the save issue - would be nice to get a reply in the forum to help others.

[Me]: Not too often, just might be at an inconvenient time.

[Support]: We don't monitor the user forum, nor do we respond there. It is all users there. By default, ZA checks for updates automatically every 3 hours. You can change the update frequency to up to once every 24 hours to lessen the amount of times it checks for updates during the day. However, there is no way to choose a specific time to download or install updates unfortunately.

[Me]: OK - I do know that ZA does not monitor the forum, which in my opinion is a big big mistake to not stay connected with the feelings of your customers (not your personal fault). Let me just say that I appreciate your answer and when I and others renew, this will be a factor in our buying decision.

[Support]: I understand Dave. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

[Me]: Just curious - do you run ZA and if so how can you have your PC locked up for minutes when interacting with clients?

[Support]: We all run ZA on our test machines here, and typically, ZA updates in the background without interfering with our working with our users. I haven't personally had any issues with our latest versions locking my PC when it updates. Does your computer have at least 1GB of system memory installed in it also?

[Me]n: Interesting - Yep I have 1 GB, but maybe I'm running other things that take memory. Might be an example where CS people don't have the issues, but clients in certain environments do. Sometimes this happens.... just a sec... checking ZA setting for frequencly.

[Support]: OK. Most of our test machines have around 2GB of system memory, so that may be part of it

[Me]: I check once every hour, which is good, there must be updates or would not be an issue. I guess I'll change to once every 24, but would much prefer to be asked. Perhaps you could submit as enhancement (I call locking up a bug) from the folks in the forum having issues. Simple to ask and if don't reply in x seconds, install the update. Thanks for your help.

= = = =
    After thought - maybe I'll add memory to the 1 GB I have
    Last edited by denverdave; August 13th, 2010 at 09:42 AM.

Thread Information