Thread: [SOLVED] Zone is blocking cookies

hanging Guest

Unhappy [SOLVED] Zone is blocking cookies

Have had a nightmare trying to get into my Yahoo e-mail, and found that the reason is that Zone Alarm is blocking cookies. I cannot find anything in the current (not the updated version) program that references cookies. In the past there was a menu which referenced cookies and could be set to the degree desired. Now I cannot locate anything. Intend to update the ZAP within the next few days.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and where has the "cookie control" menu disappeared to?? The Internet settings I have do allow for cookies. Also I cannot locate the "Privacy Control" in my Zone Alarm program.... was this changed at some point in time?

ANY AND ALL ADVICE IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. Cannot access my e-mail until I can find a solution (otherwise have to shut Zone Alarm Pro down to gain access).
    Last edited by hanging; August 13th, 2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: referenced posts are very outdated, nothing current

hanging Guest

Unhappy Re: Zone is blocking cookies

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the ZAP latest version. However the same problem exists that it appears to be blocking the cookies because if I shut it down I can get into the Yahoo mail.... otherwise it is the same thing, it keeps taking me back to the sign-in menu and cannot get to the e-mails.

Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem could be? OS XP, SP3, AV ESET NOD32, PSI (Secunia checker).

Getting desperate.

Default Re: Zone is blocking cookies

Version of ZAP? There is no control on cookies in ZA 9

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

hanging Guest

Fax, I finally found the answer after a nightmare of a day yesterday, uninstalling & reinstalling the new update.

The "vault" is blocking everything when that feature is turned on. I tried removing a site that was being blocked, and that did not work, so I deleted everything in the vault and tried again. Since the "vault" feature is now turned off, there are no more blocks. Hate to lose that feature, however it is the only way I can access my e-mail.

I will notify the "chat" ppl about this so someone will be aware. This occured BEFORE I did the update to the new version, so do not know the reason why. Also after a complete uninstall and reinstall the same problem existed. Do not know the reason this problem occurred prior to the upgrade and then continued on into the upgrade.

Thank you for the response.

Please follow up directly to support. Most likely you added something weird to the vault and now you get everything blocked. Never add e-mails, simple numeric password, few letter, etc... It will create a lot of false positive and block your work. Set it to MEDIUM and not HIGH, so you will actually see when it is happening.

Also check the vault after having disabled NOD web scanner.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 15th, 2010 at 08:41 AM.

hanging Guest

Question Re: Zone is blocking cookies - - - RESOLVED

Thank you for the advice, Fax. Earlier, I wanted to try the vault once more for just a few passwords, so I returned to that menu and did the input. After once again checking on the Internet, I found that the cookies were apparently not being blocked. I did set it on "high", however.

I do not know the reason for the original problem, however do suspect that it could have been the AV program information in there (now removed). I am hoping that this will be the final resolution to the issue, however I must reset the passwords since I was not protected for a while.

Could you please advise me as to "why" you recommend using a medium setting rather than high in the vault please? When I had it set at medium and was having the "cookie blocking" problem I was constantly getting warnings.

Thank you once again for the good advice, Fax. It is most appreciated.
    Last edited by hanging; August 15th, 2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: error on my part

Default Re: Zone is blocking cookies - - - RESOLVED

Quote Originally Posted by hanging View Post
    Could you please advise me as to "why" you recommend using a medium setting rather than high in the vault please?
    On medium you will receive warnings each time your vault is used. This way you will know if there is something wrong there especially if you receive too many warnings. On high everything will be blocked and you will not know what is the problem.

Avoid inputing short passwords (2-3-4 numeric or letters only logins) into the vault as well as common items you use on daily bases (e.g. e-mail addresses or usernames). This will reduce the number of false positives you will likely get.

Cheers,
    Fax

hanging Guest

Smile Re: [SOLVED] Zone is blocking cookies

Thank you for the explanation, Fax. That makes a lot of sense and appreciate you explaining it for me. You advice is very much appreciated! Best regards!

Thread Information