Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if I didn't upgrade? ZA 9.2 and Avast 5 --> Success

johnnino Guest

Default What if I didn't upgrade? ZA 9.2 and Avast 5 --> Success

Just discovered I'm running ZAFree 7.0.483.000, though it is set for automatic updates. If I click on "Check for Updates" there's a connection but nothing happens. I've read through the forum and frankly I'm a little intimidated by the "Upgrade Headaches" and "Uninstall Catastrophes". Can I get some guidance on the risks and gains of upgrading to 9.2.057. Are these installation problems common? Does the new version offer better protection -- or is it mostly convenience features? What if I stuck with 7.0.483? Thanks.

Oh yes, I'm running XP MediaCenter Edition SP3 and I'm using Avast 5.0.594

Default Re: What if I didn't upgrade?

Hi!

please note that ZA (any version) never officially supported XP MCE. Stay with what you have, if it works, or move to other free utilities.

This is a user forum to deal with ZA product issues. Users don't come here if everything works fine. If you base your assessment on the posts here you will never upgrade or use any ZA products. This is valid for any support forum.

It is not possible to give you indications on how to best proceed since each computer has a specific configuation and may react differently. If you want to try to upgrade then simply remove your current ZA first and then try to install the latest version. Some users with Avast 5 have reported undefined problems and Avast forum is suggesting removing ZA before installing Avast 5. I would then suggest to remove Avast 5 or find an alternative antivirus (e.g. AVG, Avira, etc) before installing ZA. Your choice anyway since, may be, at your end you will not have any problems with both.

You find latest version of ZA free here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 3rd, 2010 at 06:58 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

johnnino Guest

Thanx Fax,

That was really helpful. I just wanted to get a sense of whether sticking with Version 7.0.483 would still leave me a prety effective firewall. I have a little better perspective now on the risks of upgrading. One thing that may tempt me to give it a try is that -- not knowing about potential conflicts with Avast -- I installed version 5 a few days ago, letting the installer handle even the uninstallation. It went off without a hitch. And no problems since then.

Thanks again for the thorough reply.

When comes to security it is always essential to run up-to-date software. Running old security tools is like running no tools. So it is up to you to move up or not. If you feel secure with 7 then stay with 7.

Thanks,
    Fax

johnnino Guest

Hang on a sec, Fax--

In your first response, you say, "Stay with what you have, if it works..."

But now you say, "Running old security tools is like running no tools."

That's very different -- because if it's true, then staying with what I have is not an option. I have no system conflicts or crashes, true -- but no real firewall either. My only option is to get myself an up-to-date effective firewall, whether that be Zone Alarm or another.

I don't want to feel secure -- I want to be secure. Could you clarify your position, please, on what I need to do to achieve that. Thanks. I value your opinion.

Best regards.

Johnnino

First sentence is related to all free basic firewalls, in this context even the windows firewall provides good protection. For very basic firewall features you can stay with any free firewall (old or new). They provide limited basic protection. The second relates to security tools in general.

The latter IMO would be predominant (i.e. Always have your security tools up to date). Now up to you to take the root you feel best

Sorry this is not a discussion forum about best setup of firewalls or security in general. Unless you don't have further ZA related questions I will close soon this thread.

Thanks,
    Fax

Quote Originally Posted by johnnino View Post
    Hang on a sec, Fax--

In your first response, you say, "Stay with what you have, if it works..."

But now you say, "Running old security tools is like running no tools."

That's very different -- because if it's true, then staying with what I have is not an option. I have no system conflicts or crashes, true -- but no real firewall either. My only option is to get myself an up-to-date effective firewall, whether that be Zone Alarm or another.

I don't want to feel secure -- I want to be secure. Could you clarify your position, please, on what I need to do to achieve that. Thanks. I value your opinion.

Best regards.

Johnnino
    Thank you for your continued Feedback..

I'll try to answer your question..

1.) I agree with Guru fax's advice..

2.) Checkpoint does not Fix any problems in older version of Zone Alarm other than provide links to the latest Current version..

3.) the Only Free Support for the Free Basic Zone Alarm firewall is from Users participating in this User Forum..

4.) Also note that ZA does not support any Media Center Edition (MCE) version of Windows XP, ZA may work correctly for some users, but Officially it is not support due to differences in the WinXP (MCE) OS.

5.) "Computers are Expensive pieces of equipment. For the same reasons that you lock your home and car (to keep others out), you need to have some type of Firewall & Antivirus protection on your computer. There is an Arms race out there between Malware producers and Antivirus software producers. and the War Escalates Hourly.

I encourage your to try the New ZA Free Firewall 9.2.057.000

If it installs and Runs OK, your in good shape, if not then your choices are to remain with the Old ZA Free 7.0 that does work and Make sure that your AV and AS programs and Windows XP MCE are kept updated often..
    or try some other Free Firewall or the Windows Firewall..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 3rd, 2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

johnnino Guest

Well, Fax and GeorgeV,

Somehow I feel myself being encouraged to try the upgrade.

Just two points though: Could you help me locate a version history of the firewall. I couldn't find one on the Checkpoint site.

And GeorgeV, could you explain to me please how I would have the option to remain with the old ZA Free 7.0 if I uninstall it prior to the upgrade.

Thanks to you both. Your thoughts have really helped bring this into focus.

Johnnino

Well, Fax and GeorgeV,

And GeorgeV, could you explain to me please how I would have the option to remain with the old ZA Free 7.0 if I uninstall it prior to the upgrade.

Thanks to you both. Your thoughts have really helped bring this into focus.

Johnnino
    Somehow, I guess you have never heard of the "time Honored" practice of making a Full backup of your Boot drive, or keeping copies of Old Installers programs in safe keeping on CD's or sub-directory ?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Just two points though: Could you help me locate a version history of the firewall. I couldn't find one on the Checkpoint site.
    Link in my first post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information