Thread: New Installation Headache

Catweazle Guest

Default New Installation Headache

I tried to download and install ZA-free on my Vista laptop. After all I have a few very good years with ZA-free on my XP workhorse/workstation, but it went inmediatly wrong. First Za crashed (not responding; has to be closed; etc ). Then a message from the system: DEP had blocked ZA-free all togheter. Somwhere the software is still there but it just won't start at all.
    The Vista help file told me I could unblock ZA. But this seemed a bit to optimistic because it just didn't let me unblock the software.

So I wonder, how do I get out of this mess?
    Is there any chance for me using ZA-free in combination with Vista?

Help is very welcome.

Default Re: New Installation Headache

Quote Originally Posted by Catweazle View Post
    I tried to download and install ZA-free on my Vista laptop. So I wonder, how do I get out of this mess?
    Is there any chance for me using ZA-free in combination with Vista?

Help is very welcome.

Hi!

try to run this utility to remove any left overs of otehr security tools:
    http://www.appremover.com/

Then look for specific ZA left overs and be sure to remove them all, follow all steps as detailed here:

I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (XP/2000)
    I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (Vista)

Then reinstall ZAFree

Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and (no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

ZoneAlarm free updates <== Click Here

Now Install the new update (clean Install) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: DEP has closed zonealarm, Acer?

If you have an "Acer" pc/ laptop...

A number of users with new Acer pc/ laptops have had installation failures with ZA - some producing 'errors' with "PSDProtect.dll_unloaded" or that "Data Execution Prevention" (DEP) has closed zonealarm/ "DEP shut the program down to prevent damage...", etc. ( Please do not attempt to make modifications to Windows DEP; the Acer program is the responsible program/ the root cause.)
    __________________________________________________ _________

Please try this first... updating to the latest version of Acer eDataSecurity Management
    1) Go to Acer Support website and find your model/ version and install the latest version of eDataSecurity Management.
    Or simply go to http://www.egistec.com/oem-acer001/freetrial.html
    scroll to the bottom of the page and select Download to download the latest version of eData Security Management utility.

Install and you'll probably need to reboot, then ZoneAlarm installation completes and starts downloading it's updates.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    2) Or you can try Uninstalling this program 'Acer eDataSecurity' in order to complete ZoneAlarm installation. Go to Windows Add/ Remove programs and un-install it. Un-installing Acer eDataSecurity will not adversely affect the security of your pc

__________________________________________________ ___
    NaiveMelody NYC - 8-16-10 - I Should Have Known Better - The Beatles
    Last edited by naivemelody; August 16th, 2010 at 06:20 PM.

Catweazle Guest

Default Re: New Installation Headache

Hey NaiveMelody,

It almost worked well . ZA really started to install after I deleted the acer stuff, but in the end DEP got ZA again and killed it .
    So tommorow I'll go on in my queste for a nice and dandy install. Today I also have to do some other work.

But thanx again.
    Catweazle

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: DEP has closed zonealarm, Acer

Important Step: have you 'properly' un-installed the pre-installed/ trial security software? Usually Acer will have McAfee Security Suite (firewall, anti-virus, etc.) <> this needs to be un-installed if you install ZA firewalls.

Remove all 3rd party antivirus and security software

To avoid conflicting programs, please remove all 3rd party antivirus and security software. These products will conflict with your ZoneAlarm product and could result in technical or performance problems.

Click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...all/step-1.htm <> it is best to use the McAfee Removal Tool; the regular Windows Add/ Remove may not be as effective.

Additionally, after removing Acer eData you will need to restart/ reboot to clear out all the files then try a nice clean install of ZA.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Personal notes: I learned of this particular Acer/ ZA conflict before I had to buy a new replacement Acer pc for my dead XP. With fore knowledge: when I first activated my Acer pc - I declined/ never activated eDataSecurity and would later un-install, while first properly un-installing the McAfee suite and then installing ZA Pro, everything working ok.
    NaiveMelody NYC - 8-17-10 - We Can Work It Out - The Beatles
    Last edited by naivemelody; August 17th, 2010 at 09:13 PM.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Recommendations for Installing ZoneAlarm

Most new pc's/ laptops will include some pre-installed/ 'trial' security software
    - please read the complete details of the security software you have.
    - even if you do not activate the 'trial' software - you may need to "properly" un-install them with the vendor's uninstall utility before installing ZoneAlarm.
    - with ZoneAlarm Free basic firewall and ZoneAlam Pro you can use any other brand of anti-virus software you wish so long as it does 'not contain' a firewall or firewall-like module(some anti-virus or anti-spyware software 'may' include a firewall in small print- please read the fine print).

- with ZoneAlarm AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Suite and ZoneAlarm Extreme there is less of a need for additional security software. If you do wish to supplement/ add another layer of defense - make sure it does not contain another anti-virus scanning module. When installing ZoneAlarm for the first time it may be best to un-install all other security software first - install ZoneAlarm and then install any others - and check for compatibility by...

-please be cautious with using other security software by following the two rules below...

__________________________________________________ ___________

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another.
    Use the vendor's uninstall utility:
    > Remove Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, BitDefender
    click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...all/step-1.htm

- or try AppRemover,
    - or use the Windows add/remove software tool in the control panel. Use of the vendor's uninstall utility is preferred.
    __________________________________________________ _______

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another; simply disabling/ shutting off one anti-virus while trying to use/ install another is not recommended and will cause some sort of problem/ errors - please "properly" un-install one before installing a new anti-virus software.
    Use the vendor's uninstall utility:
    > Remove Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, BitDefender
    click here > http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/install/step-1.htm

- or try AppRemover,
    - or use the Windows add/remove software tool in the control panel. Use of the vendor's uninstall utility is preferred.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Download the latest installer preferably with Internet Explorer Browser IE7/ IE8 and (use no Download Manager/ web-accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

Whenever posting here in the ZoneAlarm Forum - it is always advisable to list your:

Windows OS: (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit),

List your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free, Pro, AntiVirus, Suite or Extreme)

and also the ZA Version number #(7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1,9.2,9.3...)

__________________________________________________ __
    NaiveMelody NYC - 9-6-10 - Say It Right - Nelly Furtado
    Last edited by naivemelody; September 7th, 2010 at 05:09 PM.

Thread Information