Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA suddenly stopped my Net access

Talesman Guest

Default ZA suddenly stopped my Net access

Using XP SP3 and IE6/OE.

I have used ZA free for many years.

Two days ago, out of the blue, any Web page I tried to access merely gave me Cannot find server or DNS Error also e-mail stopped working as well....totally no Net access.

Tried dozens of fixes and none worked. I did all THE "PINGING" **** and all that worked fine with ZA running. I flushed caches, etc. Ran LSPfix and WinsockxpFix. Ran sfc/scannow. Reinstalled IE6 from SP3. One site said to turn off or uninstall any firewall. Turning it off didn't work but unistalling it did. After I uninstalled ZA I then immediately regained access. I was shocked.

I DL'd and installed the latest ZA and the same thing happened. Absolutely could not get out.

Thinking there was a conflict with AVAST, I uninstalled that program, uninstalled ZA, rebooted, reinstalled the latest ZA. Still no joy. ZA would not allow me access even with no anti-virus running whatsoever.

I tried several other firewalls and they work fine except they suck!!! I want my ZA back and I need help!

This whole thing is weird because I have had ZA probably since W98SE. Avast and ZA never had a problem co-existing for many years (if that was the original culprit).

I'd welcome any/all suggestions or insight as to what to do to keep ZA and also access the Net and e-mail.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: ZA suddenly stopped my Net access

Suggestion that may work; if not - it will increase your overall security regardless.

Upgrade from IE6 to IE8. IE6 has numerous security flaws and lacks several newer components that other software/ web sites may need to function properly.

Wiki info on IE6 - click here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_6

You can check with Microsoft web site on how to upgrade, and what to expect/ new features.
    __________________________________________________ ___
    How to fix the top 10 Internet Explorer issues - from Microsoft - click here > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/ietopten.mspx <
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Next time you post you should also list any other security software, browser add-on's/ plug-in's, monitors/ utilities, back-up's. Any other "new" installs or 'changes in your set-up.' Check 'host' files, clean up.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    NaiveMelody - NYC - 8-7-10 - How Long - Ace
    Last edited by naivemelody; August 8th, 2010 at 01:47 AM.

naivemelody Guest

Just a "suggestion"= does not mean 'an exact cause and effect' - just a possibility in a large realm of variables; it is not a "must do" or 'is necessary.'

There are still ZA users using IE6, IE7 - no bothers, no worry. Regardless, an upgrade to IE8 would be in his best interest - long run - security wise. Maybe, this is not the 'key factor' with his issue, but it something he can try, something he can do.

Other suggestions: do a search in ZA Forum for recent posts with ZA and Avast. I hear Avast has released a new version - conflict with software?

He may try to install ZA without the "ZA/ forcefield toolbars" - this "may" work.

Nevertheless, upgrading from IE6 to IE8 - is still a good move.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    NaiveMelody NYC - 8-8-10 - Crucial - Young MC

Talesman Guest

Default ZA keeps the Network block in place even when turned off

I seriously doubt it is an IE version issue, per se.

Here's why. Being a bit anal and a control freak when it comes to my computer (which is why I use ZA in the first place) I use Mail Washer to check the mail in all my mailboxes prior to downloading (dump all the spam first). That program, which is completely independent of any MS product was blocked as well.

Also, just the installation of ZA keeps the block in place even when turned off. Only a full uninstall gets me on the Net/Web.

I did not install anything other than the fire wall with the latest ZA. I do not allow toolbars, et al, from any program.~~SNIP~~
    Back to the subject. I am wondering if it is some sort of corrupt DLL or perhaps a problem with a necessary service? Also something I noticed which may or may not be relevant -- a few months ago clicking a link contained in an e-mail inside OE wasn't working unless I had a Web page already opened. That is not normal. I spent many hours searching for a fix to no avail. I gave up as it wasn't that annoying. This morning, with no firewall running, I can now click a link within OE and get immediate access (works like it is supposed to). Somehow something got corrupted and I do not know what.

FWIW, this morning I installed an older version of ZA (7.0.483) I found on my HD and there was no joy. Last night I went through 3-4 other firewalls and they all worked as far as letting me have Internet access.

I ran Hijackthis and my system is clean. I used a mild reg clean program and deleted some junk. Of course, I also ran 3 separate up-to-date malware programs as well. Nothing was found aside from one cookie.

I am hoping someone has an idea as to what to try next, aside from a total reinstall of the OS.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 10th, 2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Move to Prevent "HI-JACK" of other users Request for Help.and Remove Offtopic Editorializing

Default Re: ZA keeps the Network block in place even when turned off

Have you tried the manual ZA Removal procedure?
    I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (XP/2000)

This should get rid of main ZA files and allows for reinstall ZA Free 9.2.

Talesman Guest

Something is weird here.

My post above was supposed to be in the thread:
    "ZA suddenly stopped my Net access" and how this thread
    got it's title is baffling to me.

I think it is because of the foolish image verification that I can't see unless
    I refresh the entire page a time or two.

I followed the instructions from the link. Only two odd pieces of junk.
    zllictbl.dat was still there and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs
    had a few items in it.

I am about to reinstall ZA but I already know what is going to happen.

Stay tuned.

Talesman Guest

I seriously doubt it is an IE version issue, per se.
    Here's why. Being a bit anal and a control freak when it comes to my computer (which is why I use ZA in the first place) I use Mail Washer to check the mail in all my mailboxes prior to downloading (dump all the spam first). That program, which is completely independent of any MS product was blocked as well.
    Also, just the installation of ZA keeps the block in place even when turned off. Only a full uninstall gets me on the Net/Web.
    I did not install anything other than the fire wall with the latest ZA. I do not allow toolbars, et al, from any program.
    ~~SNIP~~ Back to the subject. I am wondering if it is some sort of corrupt DLL or perhaps a problem with a necessary service? Also something I noticed which may or may not be relevant --

a few months ago clicking a link contained in an e-mail inside OE wasn't working unless I had a Web page already opened. That is not normal. I spent many hours searching for a fix to no avail. I gave up as it wasn't that annoying. This morning, with no firewall running, I can now click a link within OE and get immediate access (works like it is supposed to). Somehow something got corrupted and I do not know what.

FWIW, this morning I installed an older version of ZA (7.0.483) I found on my HD and there was no joy. Last night I went through 3-4 other firewalls and they all worked as far as letting me have Internet access.
    I ran Hijackthis and my system is clean. I used a mild reg clean program and deleted some junk. Of course, I also ran 3 separate up-to-date malware programs as well. Nothing was found aside from one cookie.
    I am hoping someone has an idea as to what to try next, aside from a total reinstall of the OS.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 10th, 2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Offtopic editorializing not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Talesman View Post
    Something is weird here.

My post above was supposed to be in the thread:
    "ZA suddenly stopped my Net access" and how this thread
    got it's title is baffling to me.

I think it is because of the foolish image verification that I can't see unless
    I refresh the entire page a time or two.

I am about to reinstall ZA but I already know what is going to happen.

Stay tuned.
    Maybe Your post may have been moved back to your own thread,

If you "Hi-Jack" somebody else request for help to prevent interjecting your Problem onto them,

or merged with your original post to prevent clutering up the Forum with duplicate post.

Post back here with the Results of your "CLEAN" re-install..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 9th, 2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: update
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Merged all in one. Same issue no use having two threads from the same OP.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Hello

We heard that the latest version of Avast will not work with ZA. They updated Avast after 9.3 had been out for some time and users of Avast 4 were working fine.

Maybe your Avast updated to version 5?

If it did go back to version 4 because Avast is not willing to support or fix there issue in Avast 5. They been telling users to remove ZA when the issue is in there version 5 not ZA.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information