Thread: Auto Update Problems - Why No Answer

WGPuckett Guest

Default Auto Update Problems - Why No Answer

I am Extreme version 9.3.014.000

Since install I have been having 2 significant issues. First, fairly consistently my machine would totally freeze up. It would not respond in any way. I discovered that if I shut down ZA it would come back. I finally discovered that it was the update process that was causing the issue. Even more directly if I went in to Display Update the update dialog would display. Even though it had been running for hours the percentage was sitting at zero. Evidently the update server at Check Point is overloaded or has some other technical issue and is not responding to the update request. Instead of Zone Alarm timing out or recognizing the lack of response it just sits there with the machine unresponsive as long as it takes.

In research this I see that the typical response is for the ZA folks to claim it is a problem with your O/S or a bad install then they quickly lock the thread. I wonder if it's about time to fix the real problem? Or is this thread going to be locked or deleted as quickly as the others?

Secondly, after installation and configuration I discovered that a total reboot from shutdown occasionally results in all the configuration settings going away. It doesn't happen everytime. But it does happen. I know it has happened when immediately after reboot it pops up a window asking if I want to recogize the "new network connection" which I already had configured. It happens infrequent enough to be a bother but not a total turnoff.

If I could get the update process fixed I could accept the issue with the lost settings. As it is I have update totally turned off. I will start manually running the update each evening when I am done for the day. I cannot waste hours at a time waiting for a non-responsive update server to respond.

BTW. This is NOT a problem with my network connection. I am able to link to my VPN at work, run remote desktop and perform various other network activities just fine. I have also verified that Windows Firewall is NOT active.

Default Re: Auto Update Problems - Why No Answer

Quote Originally Posted by WGPuckett View Post
    I am Extreme version 9.3.014.000

Since install I have been having 2 significant issues. First, fairly consistently my machine would totally freeze up. It would not respond in any way. I discovered that if I shut down ZA it would come back. I finally discovered that it was the update process that was causing the issue. Even more directly if I went in to Display Update the update dialog would display. Even though it had been running for hours the percentage was sitting at zero. Evidently the update server at Check Point is overloaded or has some other technical issue and is not responding to the update request. Instead of Zone Alarm timing out or recognizing the lack of response it just sits there with the machine unresponsive as long as it takes.

1.) In research this I see that the typical response is for the ZA folks to claim it is a problem with your O/S or a bad install then they quickly lock the thread. I wonder if it's about time to fix the real problem? Or is this thread going to be locked or deleted as quickly as the others?

2.) Secondly, after installation and configuration I discovered that a total reboot from shutdown occasionally results in all the configuration settings going away. It doesn't happen everytime. But it does happen. I know it has happened when immediately after reboot it pops up a window asking if I want to recogize the "new network connection" which I already had configured. It happens infrequent enough to be a bother but not a total turnoff.

If I could get the update process fixed I could accept the issue with the lost settings. As it is I have update totally turned off. I will start manually running the update each evening when I am done for the day. I cannot waste hours at a time waiting for a non-responsive update server to respond.

BTW. This is NOT a problem with my network connection. I am able to link to my VPN at work, run remote desktop and perform various other network activities just fine. I have also verified that Windows Firewall is NOT active.

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

We are ALL Users here in this ZA User Forum, Customer Service and Tech Support do not Monitor this User Forum.

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support (Link in my Signature), it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit),

List your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and also the ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1,9.2,9.3),

List the Brand of Computer and CPU, also is it a DeskTop or Laptop computer.

Please List any other Security Programs installed as these programs may be conflicting with Zone Alarm.

===========================

1.) Sorry, this is NOT a CHAT Forum..
    Threads are Closed for several reasons, they are Primarily closed when a Users Request for help is Resolved, or closed to prevent Abuse of the Forum, or to Prevent "HI-JACKING" of another Users request for help.

As a matter of Curtsey and to provide the Best solution to each Users problem, the Forum Guideline Rules, ask each User to Please start their own seperate Request for help thread.

This insures that each User receives a solution specific to their on Problem, When other user like yourself interject your own problem into the discussion of somebody else's problem, any advice or solution to your problem would confuse and may conflict with the solution to the Originating Users problem..

2.) Very Few Users on this Forum have experience with VPN Setups
    So I recomend that your Click on the Tech Support LIVE CHAT Link in my Signature they are Online 24/7 and Free to Users of the paid Zone Alarm Verion 9.3.014..

Also when contacting Tech Support, can you post possibly a little more information about the configuration of your computer and what the steps you take to reproduce the problem?

ZA Type and version
    PC CPU speed
    PC memory Size
    Hard Drive Size/ Free Space available
    is this a Laptop or Desktop and Brand Name
    Windows OS version including Service packs Updates
    Version of VPN software having issues.
    Exactly what is done to reproduce the issue in the application.
    List any other 3rd Party Security Programs installed or Removed that may have conflicted with Zone Alarm Extreme.

Please post back here with your Solution, so that other Users with VPN problems may benefit..

Thank You..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 21st, 2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: update and fix Typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

M a y h e m Guest

Angry Re: Auto Update Problems - Why No Answer

I also am having problems with the paid ZoneAlarm Security Suite.
    The latest update a few months back is when it started.
    It is continually showing the white arrow on the ZA icon showing that it is updating. I have ALL the update options set to manual there is no reason it should be attempting to update, however it is. When it does it locks my system up completely.
    I am running Windows XP SP3, (with all the latest updates)
    All the drivers on my system are updated to latest release also.
    No conflicts are shown
    Pentium 4, 3.06 Ghz processor
    2 gb a RAM
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.3.014.000
    TrueVector version:9.3.014.000
    Driver version:9.1.522.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1024965792
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security 1.5.152.10
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.5.53.191
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 04.125

I have contacted support online numerous times and followed their directions to a T to no avail, it still happens.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled
    I have done a clean install.
    Windows firewall is turned off.
    No other firewall or anti-virus or anti-spyware except Zonealarm is on my system.
    My internet connection is fine, that has been checked by my ISP.
    I have DSL Pro connection.
    I have experimented and turned Zonealarm off and WIndows Firewall on and my system does not lock up. So whatever the problem is related to ZoneAlarm specifically, continuously attempting to update. This happens apprx every 25 to 30 minutes regularly.

Default Re: Auto Update Problems - Why No Answer

Quote Originally Posted by M a y h e m View Post
    I also am having problems with the paid ZoneAlarm Security Suite.
    The latest update a few months back is when it started.
    It is continually showing the white arrow on the ZA icon showing that it is updating. I have ALL the update options set to manual there is no reason it should be attempting to update, however it is. When it does it locks my system up completely.
    I am running Windows XP SP3, (with all the latest updates)
    All the drivers on my system are updated to latest release also.
    No conflicts are shown
    Pentium 4, 3.06 Ghz processor
    2 gb a RAM
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.3.014.000
    TrueVector version:9.3.014.000
    Driver version:9.1.522.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1024965792
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security 1.5.152.10
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.5.53.191
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 04.125

I have contacted support online numerous times and followed their directions to a T to no avail, it still happens.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled
    I have done a clean install.
    Windows firewall is turned off.
    No other firewall or anti-virus or anti-spyware except Zonealarm is on my system.
    My internet connection is fine, that has been checked by my ISP.
    I have DSL Pro connection.
    I have experimented and turned Zonealarm off and WIndows Firewall on and my system does not lock up. So whatever the problem is related to ZoneAlarm specifically, continuously attempting to update. This happens apprx every 25 to 30 minutes regularly.

I'm Sorry, but we are all Users here in this User Forum..
    You need to Followup with Continued Feedback to ZA Tech Support..
    with full Details and more information about you computer configuration and what the steps are to reproduce the problem so that Tech Support can try to Re-product the same broblem on their Test computers ?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information