Thread: CAP!2 event log errors

spambucket Guest

Default CAPI2 event log errors

I purchased a boxed copy of Zone Alarm Antivirus 2010 to install on my new Microexpress PC (Desktop, I7 960 CPU, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, 6-GB RAM). After install I clicked the upgrade button and the current version appears to be: 9.3.014.000.

When I check the Windows Application event log, there are numerous errors for CAPI2, event 4107, with the description:

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Unfortunately, the details don't give much clue as to the source of the problem, but I googled the error and found a forum suggestion to enable logging of the CAPI2 "Operational" item, and after booting found many errors in this log with event IDs of 11,30, or 82. In all of these, when I looked in the details I could find either "vsmon.exe" or "Check-Point Software Technologies Ltd." (sometimes also "RSA"), so the upper-level Application event log errors clearly seem to be related to a problem with a ZoneAlarm certificate.

I can't tell that these errors are preventing ZoneAlarm from functioning, as everything in the Control Center seems to look ok. However the large number of errors in the Events log make it hard to spot any other problems that might be happening on this PC.

I searched this forum for CAPI2 and found only one post that wasn't much help.

Does anyone have ideas on how I can resolve this?

Thanks,

spambucket
    Last edited by spambucket; August 26th, 2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Corrected typo in title/subject line

Default Re: CAP!2 event log errors

With a Valid ZA AV License, you can contact ZA Tech Support Live Chat link in my Signature with details of your Computer and Softwarer problem

can you post possibly a little more information about your computer configuration and what the steps you take to reproduce the problem, so that Tech Support can try to Re-produce your problem on their Test computers?

Also list:
    ZA Type and version number
    PC CPU speed
    PC memory Size
    Windows OS version including Service packs Update
    Lap Top or Desktop and Brand Name of Computer
    Name and Version of software having issues with Zone Alarm.
    Exactly what is done to reproduce the issue in the application.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

spambucket Guest

Default Re: CAPI2 event log errors

Thanks for the reply GeorgeV. In the first line of my post I think I covered most of the items you suggested that I list. The processor speed is 3.20 GHz. I've applied all available Windows updates.

After I posted, I did go to technical support and initiated a live chat. He gave me instructions to disable startup programs/services other than ZoneAlarm and see if the Event log errors still occur. I'm going to do this next and then go back to live chat with the results, but I am a bit nervous about shutting things off, and not knowing which ones to turn back on, so it will take me a while to write all the active ones down before I disable them.

There are no actions required to produce the Event log errors, they occur pretty much constantly after bootup, but after every 50 there is warning event (event ID 4102) saying:

Reached crypt32 threshold of 50 events and will suspend logging for 60 minutes. I haven't examined enough 4107 errors to determine if there are actually 60 minute gaps between sets of them.

Thank you for your Feedback..

Please continue your feedback to the Official Tech Support link..

Here is a Printed version of the Instructions..

this can be related to hardware incompatibility or potential software incompatibility. For the latter you can try to boot the system only with ZA and standard services and see if it is caused by third party software:

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer
    GeorgeV

spambucket Guest

Yup, I did that, with the variations that I left enabled ZoneAlarm Client and ZoneAlarm Forcefield under programs, and Zone Alarm Toolbar IswSVC and True Vector Internet Monitor under services.

The result was that the CAPI2 errror continued as before. I captured some of CAPI2 logging details into a text file and uploaded it to the next person I opened a chat with (they all include references to vsmon.exe).

She suggested I try disabling NetBIOS support in the WINS tab of the Network adapter config. The CAPI2 logging errors continued.

The only other new thing I noticed is that while logging is enabled on the "Operational" item of CAPI2, then the Event ID 4107 errors in the main Windows Application Log cease. But disable the specific CAPI2 item logging, and the errors bubble up into the 4107 event again in the Application log, stating that there is a problem with a "A required certificate is not within its validity period...". Either way, the low level errors in CAPI2 continue, and they all reference ZoneAlarm objects. It's tricky, because when there get to be a total of 50 4107 errors in the Application log, then there is a warning from crypt32 that the logging will be shut off for an hour. Wait an hour and they start showing up again. So, you can't figure you've fixed the problem unless you wait that long, or look for errors continuing at the CAPI2 level.

Thank you for your feedback,,

Please continue your feedback to the Official Tech Support link..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 26th, 2010 at 03:52 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV

Thread Information