Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Solved] Update runnng often ==> Upgrade to latest Zone Alarm version

Default Re: Update runnng often

Quote Originally Posted by mbcza View Post
    This is just another voice chiming in about the 9.3.014.000 version of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite causing my system to grind to a halt when it updates. My system pretty much freezes during the ZASS update, which did not happen before I upgraded to this version.

I realize ZASS is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing, but I also hope that an upgrade is coming soon that makes the updating process less of a resource hog (or run more in the background).

Thanks!
    There can be many reasons of the Slownes..

Available System Resouces
    Other Security programs Conflicting with Zone alarm..
    Running too many other programs in the Background..

Orls or limited Resouce Computer not exceeding the Minimum requirements..
    System Requirements for ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite:

Microsoft® Windows® 7*:

32-bit / 64-bit , 2 GB RAM
    2 GHz or faster processor
    250MB of available hard-disk space

Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 or SP2 Business / Home Premium / Ultimate:
    32-bit / 64-bit, 2 GB RAM
    2 GHz or faster processor

Microsoft Windows, XP SP3 Home / Professional
    32-bit, 1GB RAM
    1 GHz or faster processor
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 1st, 2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

grumpybear Guest

I have also observed these apparent lock-ups since the most recent upgrade of ZA Security Suite (9.3.014.000). vsmon.exe seems to chew all available CPU and brings my XP machine to a standstill. This will happen 3-4 times a day and is very frustrating.
    I appreciate that ZA can provide-up-to-minute protection from attacks, but is there any option for a simple end user to "run the risk" and schedule these updates to the early AM hours? Alternatively, a patch to make the updates less resource hungry?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    I have also observed these apparent lock-ups since the most recent upgrade of ZA Security Suite (9.3.014.000). vsmon.exe seems to chew all available CPU and brings my XP machine to a standstill. This will happen 3-4 times a day and is very frustrating.
    I appreciate that ZA can provide-up-to-minute protection from attacks, but is there any option for a simple end user to "run the risk" and schedule these updates to the early AM hours? Alternatively, a patch to make the updates less resource hungry?

"Computers are Expensive pieces of equipment. For the same reasons that you lock your home and car (to keep others out), you need to have some type of Firewall & Antivirus protection on your computer.

There is an Arms race out there between Malware producers and Antivirus software producers. and the War Escalates Hourly.

Updates to the Anti-Virus may occure 6 to 16 times per day..

It takes less than a minute on the Internet for your Computer to be infected if your Protection is not kept up to date..

The cost to prevent this and protect yourself is much lower than the cost of replacing your computer and restoring your identity."
    GeorgeV

rajeshk Guest

----> "There is an Arms race out there between Malware producers and Antivirus software producers. and the War Escalates Hourly.

Updates to the Anti-Virus may occure 6 to 16 times per day.."

There is nothing wrong with ZA updating on a regular basis. And it is reassuring known that there are frequent updates, but the updates themselves cause problems.

If you do a "manual" update for ZA anti-virus it took me a full 7 minutes for it to download and install Av updates. When it does an update automatically, just after it boots up, you can be waiting while your internet connection is locked up, until ZA is done. You can see the little ZA icon on the right with the 'arrow' icon.

I am also running XP....

Default Re: AV Update runnng often

Quote Originally Posted by rajeshk View Post
    ----> "There is an Arms race out there between Malware producers and Antivirus software producers. and the War Escalates Hourly.

Updates to the Anti-Virus may occure 6 to 16 times per day.."

There is nothing wrong with ZA updating on a regular basis. And it is reassuring known that there are frequent updates, but the updates themselves cause problems.

If you do a "manual" update for ZA anti-virus it took me a full 7 minutes for it to download and install Av updates. When it does an update automatically, just after it boots up, you can be waiting while your internet connection is locked up, until ZA is done. You can see the little ZA icon on the right with the 'arrow' icon.

I am also running XP....

Several things are involved in the length of time an 'AV" update takes..

1.) Available System Resources The More resources and the Speed of the CPU, Ram Memory and Hard drive are one factor.

2.) access to the Internet Fast Broadband, time of day, Wifi speed, Dial up? etc..

3.) If your on a minimal system Laptop or long Hibernation, waiting or delayed AV Updates may take longer..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 9th, 2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV

grumpybear Guest

I too have no issue with frequent updates (even 6-16 times a day) but when the update process freezes up my entire computer and interrupts productivity, it does become an issue. When the update occurs, I can't even switch between open apps. It just locks up until ZA has completed its updates. It's quite obvious that Version 9.3.014.000 is far more resource hungry than previous versions. ZA NEVER used to do that.

~~snip~~

I'd like to downgrade to a prior version please. Can you direct me to the link to do that?
    Also, if a hardware upgrade is required for future releases, I'd appreciate some form of notification before I upgrade the ZA software.
    Last edited by fax; September 8th, 2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Products disparage - Against forum rules -

As a general rule, running old security tools is like running no tools. The first priority for you primary line of defense is updates and continous operation. If you have issues on latest versions better to shift to another up-to-date product that works for your system rather than keeping old versions that may be vulnerable to latest threads.

If you want to keep ZA then you will need first to troubleshoot with the ZA technical support that is the only one able to detect potential issues, collect logs and possibly escalating the issue to development for a fix. If you do not do that the issue is not likely to be resolved nor you will have any chance to use any ZA products in the near future.

Release history of ZASS is located here:
    www.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload

Just change the ZA release number in the download link.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

slate Guest

Default Re: AV Update runnng often

`~~snip~~
    Of course my system is powerful enough to run the former ZAES version and according to the earlier comments in this thread, my system is powerful enough to run the current version.
    ~~snip~~

Please note that though I am disappointed by the suggestions in this thread only, I do very much appreciate the forum and the volunteers. To you folks, I say thank you for all our efforts.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 9th, 2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Hi-jacking OP thread for Offtopic diatribe..

Anyone with problems when Av updates happen you cant do much else on your PC and running XP.

ZoneAlarm has absolutely no control how this works.

This is a function of Kaspersky and how there AV updates work.

ZoneAlarm cant fix this at all.

In the next major release of ZA (sorry not ETA or release date and please don't ask. We don't ever give out this info ever) we will be upgrading to a new SDK from Kaspersky which will have improvements on how they do AV updates.

There is no guarantee all the issues will go away or get better.

We seem to see the majority of the complaints with XP and Vista.

Forum Moderator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information