Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Solved] Update runnng often ==> Upgrade to latest Zone Alarm version

slate Guest

Exclamation [Solved] Update runnng often ==> Upgrade to latest Zone Alarm version

Zone Alarm Extreme Security 9.3.014.000
    True Vector 9.3.014.000
    Driver Version 9.1.522.000
    anti virus/anti spam 8.0.2.48 Dat file 1025201696
    anti spam 6.0.0.2383
    Browser Security ver 1.5.152.10

System is Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

A few minutes after I turn the computor on, the ZAES Update notification comes on and stays on for 5-10 minutes. This is happening daily and if the computer is on for a few hours, update runs again for another 5-10 minutes. While update is running, the computer runs VERY slow. Sometimes, I click on the ZAES Update Now button and it runs for a short while and goes off indicating that ZAES is up to date.

I have already re-set ZAES and the problem continues.

Suggestions are appreciated

Default Re: Update runnng often

Well this is normal. By default the client will check for an update every 3 hours.

If this is too often for you then change the Av update interval.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

slate Guest

The interval period is OK. It's the length of time that update is running when it checks. Are there really 5-10 mins of update to download each time I start the computer and then a few times a day when the computer is on all day? This can't be normal and wasn't until a few weeks ago; about the time I re-newed my annual subscription.

stealthsub Guest

I have exactly the same comment about the length of time it takes for ZA to update. It really does seem to run a long time.
    Seems like every time I look (like when my PC is running slowly) -- update is running (however, I did reduce the frequency)

"Computers are Expensive pieces of equipment. For the same reasons that you lock your home and car (to keep others out), you need to have some type of Firewall & Antivirus protection on your computer.

There is an Arms race out there between Malware producers and Antivirus software producers.
    and the War Escalates Hourly.

Depending on the frequency you have chosen.. The longer the frequency the bigger the download and longer it will take to update..

AV/AS frequency set at 30 minutes is the Safest and Fastest, as AV Updates MAY be updated 6 to 16 times per day..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 28th, 2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stealthsub Guest

excellent point on the ongoing, escalating war. I had the wrong thinking about update frequency. Original was 1 hr -- now changed to your recommended 30 min.

Thanks much !

slate Guest

I will also adjust the frequency for updates. And, I still wonder why this wasn't a problem for the 2 years of running ZA, the last year with ZAES?
    Thanks for the advice

slate Guest

Sorry to bother you again about changing the frequency, the only options I have are either letting ZAES do it automatically or having me do it manualy. So what ever frequency "automatically" is I can not adjust the frequency to every 30 minutes, so, I can't follow your advice. And, of course, setting it for manualy is not an option.

Just an aside, I had ZAES check for updates and the checking for update pop-up box came on and after 5 minutes, the progress indicator was still at 0%. While update is running, my computer is very, very slow. I shut it down which took another 3 minutes and left the setting on "check automatically."

I may have to contact technical support. Thanks for everything you folks do at the Forum [:>)

Quote Originally Posted by stealthsub View Post
    excellent point on the ongoing, escalating war. I had the wrong thinking about update frequency. Original was 1 hr -- now changed to your recommended 30 min.

Thanks much !

Your Welcome..

mbcza Guest

Default Re: AV updates runnng often

This is just another voice chiming in about the 9.3.014.000 version of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite causing my system to grind to a halt when it updates. My system pretty much freezes during the ZASS update, which did not happen before I upgraded to this version.

I realize ZASS is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing, but I also hope that an upgrade is coming soon that makes the updating process less of a resource hog (or run more in the background).

Thanks!
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 9th, 2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: correct Title

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information