Thread: ZAP causes super slow windows startup

DonNadie Guest

Default ZAP causes super slow windows startup

Windows XP Pro SP3 up-to-date
    ADSL internet connection
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:9.3.014.000
    TrueVector version:9.3.014.000
    Driver version:9.1.522.000

Microsoft Update and some program installations require a restart of my laptop, which I usually just put into hibernate instead of shutting it down.

While my shutdown time is quite acceptable, my startup time isn't. I spend several minutes with only my background wallpaper and a cursor visible--no taskbar, nothing. I don't see my HD LED flickering so I assume the delay is caused by high CPU usage.

If I uninstall ZAP with the ZA Clean Removal Tool, my startup time returns to normal. When I reinstall ZAP, I experience the problem again.

The README file said that startup would be pretty slow the first few times after installing ZAP, but it's still pretty slow and I've restarted my laptop quite a few times now.

I admit that I have a lot of services and such running, but my startup time is fine without ZAP.

Default Re: ZAP causes super slow windows startup

Quote Originally Posted by DonNadie View Post
    Windows XP Pro SP3 up-to-date
    ADSL internet connection
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:9.3.014.000
    TrueVector version:9.3.014.000
    Driver version:9.1.522.000

Microsoft Update and some program installations require a restart of my laptop, which I usually just put into hibernate instead of shutting it down.

While my shutdown time is quite acceptable, my startup time isn't. I spend several minutes with only my background wallpaper and a cursor visible--no taskbar, nothing. I don't see my HD LED flickering so I assume the delay is caused by high CPU usage.

If I uninstall ZAP with the ZA Clean Removal Tool, my startup time returns to normal. When I reinstall ZAP, I experience the problem again.

The README file said that startup would be pretty slow the first few times after installing ZAP, but it's still pretty slow and I've restarted my laptop quite a few times now.

I admit that I have a lot of services and such running, but my startup time is fine without ZAP.
    Sorry, not enough information about your laptop..

PC CPU speed
    PC memory Size and available Free Memory
    Hard drive Size and Free space
    Laptop Model and Brand name

==============
    1.) the Slow loading may be due to some other program loading that is Conflicting with Zone Alarm Pro.

2.) ZAP is one of the Very first programs to load on Bootup an runs in the Background and checks every other program that starts up to make sure they are safe and not infected..

the Speed of ZAP proccess may depend on the available System Resouces, Available Free memory, Speed of your CPU, Speed of your Ram Memory and Fragmentation of your Hard drive..

Also, as the ZAP Readme file may have explained.. New Install of ZAP turns on a 21 day Learning mode, to learn more about your computer/program and computer usage.. for 21 days..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information