Happy ending to the story of the boy who was afraid to upgrade. It worked! I now have the latest version of ZA Free installed and running on my computer.
For the benefit of users who may be facing the prospect of uninstallation-upgrade with some hesitation, let me recap how it happened.
Closely adhering to all instructions and advice available in the forum:
- I first created a Restore Point and a full backup.
- I downloaded the removal tool and ZA 9.2 using Internet Explorer.
- I disabled "load at startup" in the old version and restarted the computer.
- I ran the removal tool. It seems to me there's a restart at the end of it.
- I ran the installation of the new version.
Twenty-four hours later everything works fine. There appear to be no conflicts or hang ups.
I stress that I pulled it off with Windows XP-MCE and Avast Antivirus 5.
Thank you Fax and GeorgeV for holding my hand on this.