Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with IE Tabs

herrs Guest

Default Problem with IE Tabs

I had waited quite a while but recently I installed SP3 in XP (actually, I forgot to uncheck it when updating and before I realized what I'd done, I was afraid to try and kill it).
    Of course, along with it came IE 7.
    When I started IE, I noticed there were no tabs in IE.
    With IE 6 I took them for granted.
    After some Google searches, I saw that some addins in IE can cause problems, so I disabled all of them and rebooted XP and when I restarted IE, still no tabs.
    If I'd right-click on a link in IE and select 'Open in New Tab', I'd not get a new tab - I'd get a new instance of IE.
    On a whim, I decided to shut down ZASS and try again.
    With ZASS shut down, when I restarted IE the tabs were back, like normal, and if I wanted a new site in a new tab, that worked also.
    I then restarted ZASS and the tabs still worked fine.
    At that point, even if I started a new instance of IE, the tabs were there and worked fine.
    Bottom line, if I start the first instance of IE with ZASS shut down, tabs work.
    If I've gone through this procedure, then started ZASS and shut down all instances of IE, when I reopen IE the tabs are gone again.
    I have to shut down ZASS before starting that first instance of IE.
    I've gone through the Program Control/Programs Tab
    list in ZASS trying to figure out what might be stopping tabs, but I've had no luck.
    The Internet Explorer item in the Programs list is set with Super trust level.
    There are three other items on that list that are labeled
    IE Crash Detection, IE Per-user Active Setup Uninstall Utility and IE Per-user Initialization Utility
    and they are all set at a trust level of Ask.
    Does anyone have a clue on this?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

herrs Guest

Default Re: Problem with IE Tabs

You're kidding?
    I'm the only one who's experienced this problem?

J Canuck Guest

I regret I don’t have a solution for your problem. Perhaps a response to my problem may help. I have a different but in a way, similar issue.

I just installed Extreme Security into Windows XP. I can open web pages under several tabs in Windows Internet Explorer without a problem, except whenever I try to do so in one particular circumstance.

I cannot open a webpage under a tab whenever I click on any of my webpage shortcut buttons, which I have displayed on my desktop screen. What does happen is the shortcut opens a second Explorer window to display the web page. My workaround is to open tabs from my Favourites Menu, which is annoying.

I never had this problem with ZoneAlarm Pro. Pro would allow me to open web pages under tabs under all circumstances including whenever I clicked on a desktop shortcut icon.

Any solutions to either herrs or my problem out there?

Quote Originally Posted by J Canuck View Post
    Any solutions to either herrs or my problem out there?
    I don't use IE but look here at this link :

http://www.ehow.com/how_2290131_enab...-explorer.html

You should consider updating to IE8

Have a nice Day

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:998993408
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 11th, 2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Version

J Canuck Guest

My Internet Explorer is the latest version and it already has those default tab settings selected, so I still have my problem. Perhaps your suggestion may be able to help herrs with his/her problem.

Thank you Sky Soldiers for taking the time to offer your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by J Canuck View Post
    Thank you Sky Soldiers for taking the time to offer your suggestion.
    No problem.Maybe IE8 users can give input on your issue.

Have a nice Day & Xmas

J Canuck Guest

18 months later - now I have both problems listed below. Anyone have a solution?

Considering that after all this time no user here have had any input to support you it may be time to try to troubleshoot your issue with the official ZA technical support. Link to support is in my signature.

To contact support you need to have your ZA updated to the latest version (9.3). No old ZA version is anymore supported.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

J Canuck Guest

Thanks for your prompt response and the link.

To clarify: my problem mysteriously disappeared and all was well for 18 months. Then it recently returned, quickly followed by 'herrs' problem also manifesting in my computer. After much trouble shooting, I removed ZASS and reinstalled from a fresh download today. During the installation process however, my computer froze at the installing virus drivers stage. I had to 'reset' my PC to get out. After a reboot, I could no longer access the internet nor my Trend Micro virus protection!! I retried three fresh downloads and installs with no success - all freezing at the 'drivers' stage. I eventually had to remove ZASS permanently to get my internet connection and Trend Micro back.

So I am pissed right now - after calming down over a couple of days, I will contact Support.

I am not suprised you have problems.

Golden rule of security never ever run overlapping tools. Even if they may work together. They will fight for resources, causing issues and instability and block each other. End result = less security.

You need to choose what to run, ZASS or another security tool but not two.

This has been posted many times in here... for the rest follow-up with support directly.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information