Thread: Computer Shuts Itself Down!

tbrick Guest

Question Computer Shuts Itself Down!

For a while now, when I am on the internet for awhile, suddenly my computer powers off, not to a blue screen of death, but a black powered off screen.

After waiting a few minutes, I am able to turn it back on, of course I have lost my homepage and have to reset it, but it's a hassle I guess I can live with.

It happened to me twice tonight (Fri), and I went thru the repower on, but I have my ZA antivirus scan for Fri at 8pm, and wouldn't you know it, I haven't had any shutdown problems while ZA has been scanning.....so I got to thinking, maybe there is some setting in my ZA (I have Internet Security) that conflicts with my sites and as a result the default is to shut down my computer. While the scan is going, I am having no problems, but when the scan is done, all bets are off.

Sites that I go to when this happens usually is Yahoo sports, or any message board like this one.

My computer info

Using Windows XP 2nd edition service pack 3
    Intenet Explorer 8
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU
    3.20 GHz 3.21 GHz
    992 MB of RAM

My computer is about 5 years old. Any help or suggestions?

Default Re: Computer Shuts Itself Down!

Quote Originally Posted by tbrick View Post
    For a while now, when I am on the internet for awhile, suddenly my computer powers off, not to a blue screen of death, but a black powered off screen.

After waiting a few minutes, I am able to turn it back on, of course I have lost my homepage and have to reset it, but it's a hassle I guess I can live with.

It happened to me twice tonight (Fri), and I went thru the repower on, but I have my ZA antivirus scan for Fri at 8pm, and wouldn't you know it, I haven't had any shutdown problems while ZA has been scanning.....so I got to thinking, maybe there is some setting in my ZA (I have Internet Security) that conflicts with my sites and as a result the default is to shut down my computer. While the scan is going, I am having no problems, but when the scan is done, all bets are off.

Sites that I go to when this happens usually is Yahoo sports, or any message board like this one.

My computer info

Using Windows XP 2nd edition service pack 3
    Intenet Explorer 8
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU
    3.20 GHz 3.21 GHz
    992 MB of RAM

My computer is about 5 years old. Any help or suggestions?
    click on the Tech Support Live Chat link in my Signature..

When Contacting Tech Support, Please provide a little more information about your computer configuration and what the steps you take to reproduce the problem, so that they can try to reproduce the problem on their test computers..?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information