Thread: [SOLVED] iTunes 9 & 10 sync issues caused by ZA --> Install 9.3.037 + Reset

shieldwulf Guest

Unhappy [SOLVED] iTunes 9 & 10 sync issues caused by ZA --> Install 9.3.037 + Reset

Background:
    I have been a user of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite for a number of years. I believe my version is as updated as of current writing, the Product Info > Version Information displays as below.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 9.3.014.000
    TrueVector security engine version 9.3.014.000
    Driver version 9.1.522.000
    Anti-virus/Anti-spyware engine version 8.0.2.48, DAT file version 1026241984
    AntiSpam version 6.0.0.2383
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security 1.5.152.10

Problem Description:
    I recently bought an Apple iPhone 4. I installed iTunes 9, and just recently upgraded to iTunes 10 as it was recently just released. My laptop is running Windows Vista Business SP2.

When running iTunes for (both cases of versions 9 or 10), and whenever ZoneAlarm pops up any prompt regarding permission, I always select "Allow".

Since using iTunes, I have been having various sync issues that are too many to put into detail, resulting in performing recovery mode on my iPhone 4 many times. All along, I thought these are just bugs with the iTunes application.

Some sync issues that I can recall are (by no means exhaustive list!):
    - Failed to sync downloaded applications from AppStore
    - Failed to sync music tracks
    - Failed to sync photos (even if successful, resolution was degraded and/or worse, attempting to view in iPhone 4 says "unknown format")
    - Error messages in the likes of "unknown error occurred...cannot be synced" etc.

Not anymore after I did a very simple thing before using iTunes:
    I shutdown ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

All the issues went away after it was shutdown! Of course, this is not a solution since I am no longer protected during the period when I am using iTunes while my machine is connected to the Internet and accessing other web resources. This is my temporary workaround.

From ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite > Overview > Program Control > Programs. I have given assigned "Super" trust level and full access (all the columns green check mark) to the following programs:
    - iTunes
    - iTunes installer
    - iTunes Photo Processor
    - iTunesHelper

Questions:
    1) What are the configuration settings that I should perform to allow iTunes to complete operate without hindrance by ZA Internet Security Suite?
    2) If this is a problem with ZA Internet Security Suite, will there be any updates soon to address issues with iTunes?

I will appreciate a response on my questions. Thank you.

Default Re: iTunes 9 & 10 sync issues caused by ZA Internet Security Suite

This is a know minor bug in ZA 9.3.014.000 that has been Fixed in ZA 9.3.037.000

If you have a valid license key you can upgrade to the latest version 9.3.037.000 at no cost.

Uninstall your version of ZA you have now then download and install your product from this link.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

shieldwulf Guest

Hi GeorgeV,

Thank you for your prompt assistance.

I have downloaded and upgraded my instance of ZA Internet Security to ZA 9.3.037.000. After upgrading, restarted PC and performing check for updates, the Product Info > Version Information displays as below.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 9.3.037.000
    TrueVector security engine version 9.3.037.000
    Anti-virus/Anti-spyware engine version 8.0.2.48, DAT file version 1026245632
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security 1.5.152.14

Now, I tested again importing new music tracks into iTunes while ZA Internet Security is running. It worked.

I then performed a sync to import music tracks from iTunes to my iPhone. Unfortunately, it failed.

Below are the sequence of error messages that I see when syncing music from iTunes to my iPhone.

1) iTunes could not copy "<music track name>" to the iPhone "Randy's iPhone" because the file is corrupt and could not be read.

2) The iPhone "Randy's iPhone" cannot be synced. An error occurred while writing to the device.

3) Attempting to copy to the disk "Randy's iPhone" failed. An error occurred while reading from the device.

4) The iPhone "Randy's iPhone" cannot be synced. An error occurred while writing to the device.

There and then, I shutdown ZA Internet Security Suite, closed and re-opened iTunes (while iPhone remains connected). It automatically synced all the new music tracks into my iPhone without errors.

In addition, I observed these services are running while iTunes is syncing.
    - AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    - AppleMobileDeviceHelpder.exe
    - SyncServer

I checked within ZA Internet Security Suite that these services were already given "Super" trust level and full access.

Any further advices will be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by shieldwulf View Post
    Hi GeorgeV,

Thank you for your prompt assistance.

I have downloaded and upgraded my instance of ZA Internet Security to ZA 9.3.037.000. After upgrading, restarted PC and performing check for updates, the Product Info > Version Information displays as below.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 9.3.037.000
    TrueVector security engine version 9.3.037.000
    Anti-virus/Anti-spyware engine version 8.0.2.48, DAT file version 1026245632
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security 1.5.152.14

Now, I tested again importing new music tracks into iTunes while ZA Internet Security is running. It worked.

I then performed a sync to import music tracks from iTunes to my iPhone. Unfortunately, it failed.

Any further advices will be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Randy
    Thank you for your Feedback..

Please Report your Findings Directly to ZA Tech Support Live Chat link in my Signature with your details,

can you provide Tech Support little more information about the configuration of your computer and what the steps you take to reproduce the failure?
    GeorgeV

shieldwulf Guest

I have done a live chat with ZA Tech Support and was given a case number.

I have uploaded the logs via ZoneAlarm Diagnostics Tool on my machine.

Thanks.

Your Welcome..

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback..
    GeorgeV

Hello,

We haven't had any report for tech support about this issue or that logs were uploaded.

After you uploaded the logs did you go back into chat with tech support and notify them your logs were successfully uploaded?

I suggest you get back in contact with tech support chat ASAP and let them know otherwise nothing will ever happen.

Forum Moderator

shieldwulf Guest

Smile Re: iTunes 9 & 10 sync issues caused by ZA Internet Security Suite

Thank you for the suggestion. I followed up with Tech Support Live Chat and quoted my case number. I was told that the logs were received.

I was given a set of steps that actually managed to resolve my problems, or at least for now ... so far so good!

Below are the steps that I am reproducing from Live Chat Tech Support. I certainly hope below steps would benefit others who are facing issues with iTunes while running ZA.
    There may be a problem with your TrueVector service. ZoneAlarm is dependent on its TrueVector service to function properly. You may need to refresh the files associated with this service, especially after a networking change, Windows OS change, or ZoneAlarm update.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.
    1) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3) Choose 'Reset' from the menu that comes up
    4) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot
    After computer has been restarted, ZoneAlarm did a very quick re-scan of all programs in my computer (less than 1 min.). I chose "Auto-Learn" option when asked to select the security configuration options(or something like that, can't recall exactly).

After the above steps were completed. I plugged-in my iPhone 4, and after iTunes was automatically fired-up, it proceed to perform syncing. No issues with syncing.

Then, in iTunes, I tested "Add Folder to Library..." to import and convert some music tracks. After that, I clicked on "sync" button under my mobile phone side-bar to copy tracks into my iPhone 4. It worked without errors too.

I am very glad my problem was finally resolved. Just keeping my fingers crossed the issue shall not re-surface again in future.

~snip~

I will update this thread if further issues arise in the near future.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    Hello,

We haven't had any report for tech support about this issue or that logs were uploaded.

After you uploaded the logs did you go back into chat with tech support and notify them your logs were successfully uploaded?

I suggest you get back in contact with tech support chat ASAP and let them know otherwise nothing will ever happen.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 3rd, 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Addendum, offtopic comments removed

Thread Information