Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ForceField and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.9/10

Default Re: ForceField and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.9

Quote Originally Posted by cyberjunkie View Post
    Yeah, I did discard my settings/profile on the uninstaller... twice, after I reinstalling and trying a clean uninstall.
    Any progress on this? Have you removed the folders manually?

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cyberjunkie Guest

Red face Re: ForceField and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.9/10

Alas, apologies to all ZA users.

My computer was dying with whirling grinding noise; I didn't know whether it was from the CPU fan assembly or hard drive. The noises are now in dual harmony tones. I figure the computer's gonna die any day now: This year I already replaced an HD, HD fan/heatsink, power supply, and CPU fan assembly. I don't know whether I'm gonna spend more money on it.

So this week, I took over my father's iMac, because he has a love/hate relationship towards it. He's been so used to XP.

But he bought a DELL Inspiron with Windows 7 Home Premium. I set it up today. And boy, Windows 7 HP is a pain in the #@$

It crashes a lot.

I already renewed ZAX for 2 years, since my dad has a couple PCs he's using.

Anyhow, back to your question, fax. ForceField does the same thing on Windows 7 for Firefox on a clean install.

Maybe I'll get around figuring out it one day, or maybe wait for the next ZA/FF upgrade. But I've had my fill with Windows 7 for a while.

-CJ

-----

Edit: If CheckPoint/ZoneAlarm were ever going to make a product for Mac OS X, I would totally jump on it. Thanks for the years of memories.
    Last edited by cyberjunkie; September 25th, 2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Note about Mac

Default Re: ForceField and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.9/10

Anyhow, back to your question, fax. ForceField does the same thing on Windows 7 for Firefox on a clean install.
    Very weird, running in Win7 (as many others here) and don't have the issue. Did you wiped manually all the firerox folders and files? There should be no reason for default firefox install to have problems with ForceField unless you are running ad-hoc firefox add-on that conlficts with firefox

btw, I still have to experience a crash with windows 7. Very stable, fast and reliable.

Cheers,
    Fax

fritspolak Guest

The problem of this thread is not with the version of Forcefield as integrated in ZA Extreme Security, but with the stand alone version of Forcefield. The latest version of that product is 1.5.053.049 dated 20 November 2009. It was compatible with Firefox version up till 3.6.8, but is NOT compatible with version 3.6.9 and 3.6.10. When Forcefield is active, the protected browser of Firefox is sarted and immediately killed. The unprocted version runs OK. And as soon as Forcefield is stopped, Firefox runs OK. I did a fresh reinstall of Forcefield and Firefox, but to no avail.

I hope a new compatible version is released soon!

Frits Polak

Quote Originally Posted by fritspolak View Post
    The problem of this thread is not with the version of Forcefield as integrated in ZA Extreme Security, but with the stand alone version of Forcefield.
    Did you checked this with the official support or is it just your best guess? First time I hear of this, current forcefield in ZAX is equivalent to the standalone version regardless of the version numbering. Also some components are updated after install.

Better you check with ZA official suport. Link to technical support is in my signature.

thanks,
    Fax

ajbicza Guest

Red face Re: ForceField and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.9/10

Quote Originally Posted by ajbicza View Post
    George,

Thanks - I will try this for my laptop which has Windows 7 to see if it works correctly. I should note that everything in Firefox updated correctly with no problems to 3.6.10 on my PC with Windows XP and ZA Extreme 9.3.014 - so I've narrowed down the problem to Windows 7 and Firefox in my case.
    I've now sorted my Windows 7 laptop by reinstalling. However still having problems with one of the non-admin user accounts on my Windows XP PC with Firefox 3.6.10. - On the admin and 2 of the other non-admin users it works OK now (after re-installing Firefox then ZAX) but on one it always hangs if I try and load firefox - so installed a standalone verson of Firefox on that user - works but Forcefield still hangs when logging out - actually became 'unstable' yesterday and prompted a send of a dump file to ZoneAlarm so maybe that will help them look at it.

I've noticed that Firefox does not appear in the list of ZAX recognised programes - not sure if that is a problem as it works OK for the other user accounts (using it to write this) - but if I try to add it manually it isn't recognised either.

This all unravelled with Firefox 3.6.9 and 10 - here's hoping that a new version of firefox or forcefield will solve it.

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:9.3.037.000
    TrueVector version:9.3.037.000
    Driver version:9.1.522.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.48
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1028109472
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security 1.5.152.14
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.5.53.209
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 04.130

Quote Originally Posted by ajbicza View Post
    I've noticed that Firefox does not appear in the list of ZAX recognised programes - not sure if that is a problem as it works OK for the other user accounts (using it to write this) - but if I try to add it manually it isn't recognised either.
    First of all the list of ZA programs (under the ZA program control) is the same for all users on the same PC. Secondly as soon as you run firefox it should be added automatically to the ZA program list. If it does not your ZA database containing the settings is corrupted and you will need to reset to get it fixed.

Fax

critterjoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fritspolak View Post
    The problem of this thread is not with the version of Forcefield as integrated in ZA Extreme Security, but with the stand alone version of Forcefield. The latest version of that product is 1.5.053.049 dated 20 November 2009. It was compatible with Firefox version up till 3.6.8, but is NOT compatible with version 3.6.9 and 3.6.10. When Forcefield is active, the protected browser of Firefox is sarted and immediately killed. The unprocted version runs OK. And as soon as Forcefield is stopped, Firefox runs OK. I did a fresh reinstall of Forcefield and Firefox, but to no avail.

I hope a new compatible version is released soon!
    I, too, use the same standalone version of Forcefield, and have experienced no problem with it and either Firefox 3.6.9 or 3.6.10. There was a publicized problem recently with Firefox 3.6.9 and 3.6.10, which would cause multiple crashes--so much so that Firefox took the rare step of halting its automatic update pushes of those two versions. It seems the problem affected mainly people who used the auto-update feature or responded to a new update alert and upgraded through that mechanism. Their Firefox would become very buggy and crash often. People who downloaded the full 8.13 MB install file for 3.6.10 didn't tend to have the problem. Here is more info on the Firefox problem:

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...m-1079754.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Deliv...s-156588.shtml

However, you said you reinstalled both Forcefield and Firefox. So I presume you downloaded a complete installer file of Firefox 3.6.10, and installed it after you had uninstalled your old version?

Here's how I would do it. After downloading the full Firefox installation file (for the language you want), I would uninstall Forcefield first. Before uninstalling it, I would "clear the virtual data" and remove the checkmark from "enable virtualization". On the other tab, I would remove the checkmark "start Forcefield at startup". Then I would reboot; Forcefield should no longer be running. I would then uninstall Forcefield and reboot.

Next, I would uninstall Firefox using Add/Remove Programs. I would keep my profile settings when prompted. I would then reboot and reinstall Firefox using the 3.6.10 full installation file, and reboot again. After rebooting, I would then check to see that the Firefox "options" are like I want, and that Firefox is working. If it is, then I would install Forcefield, and reboot.

Maybe that's how you did it, but if so, I'm not sure why you are having the trouble. But I hope this helps you get both programs back in operation. Good luck!
    Last edited by critterjoe; October 7th, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

cyberjunkie Guest

I think Frits is right. Last time I uninstalled ZAX (on my dad's Win7) by clicking "uninstall.exe" under Program Files, instead of CPES, the program didn't uninstall ForceField. In fact, ForceField was in its own Program File Folder: Checkpoint (I think).

I think Frits is right. Last time I uninstalled ZAX (on my dad's Win7) by clicking "uninstall.exe" under Program Files, instead of CPES, the program didn't uninstall ForceField. In fact, ForceField was in its own Program File Folder: Checkpoint (I think).
    Uninstall under program files (what you should normally do instead of the separate CPES standalone unistaller), will just call CPES that now is an integral part of any ZA installations. ZAX uninstaller by default will remove forcefield folder (subfolder in checkpoint folder). What usually is left is the main checkpoint folder only. Sometimes some configuation files are left in forcefield folder but main drivers, executables, registry entries are removed by the ZAX uninstaller.

If not otherwise then either an old version of ZAX was in use or the removal process was not successfull for whatever local reasons.

Fax

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information