Thread: Outlook 2003

topshelf Guest

Default Outlook 2003

Hope someone can HELP as this problem is driving me crazy!!

I recently upgraded from Win XP Pro to Win 7 Pro (64bit). I was using and still am ZoneAlarm Extreme 9.3.014. Since Win 7 has no email program I installed Outlook 2003.

Here is my problem. When I click on the email icon in Internet Explorer 8, I get a message, “could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed.”

I set Outlook as the default mail program and all works well till I reboot, then back to same error message.

I have identified what is causing the problem. If I un-check “Virtualization” Outlook opens from within IE8 every time, even after re-booting. As soon as I re-check “Virtualization” same error.

I un-installed ZAE, re-loaded, did not solve problem. I have done a re-set, did not solve problem. I have tried different combinations of setting the default email with
    “Virtualization” turned off, then back on, still the same.

What to do?????

Default Re: Outlook 2003

Have you tried to fully reset IE and ZA browser security? Sounds like corrupted virtual data.

See here:
    IE8 Browser Blues

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

topshelf Guest

Fax

Thank you so much for the suggestion, I'll give it a try and let you know.

topshelf Guest

Fax, again thanks.

I tried everything you said, thought it was going to work, but as soon as I check "Virtualization"
    and re-boot, I get that same error message. I can go into IE8, reset the default email provider and all will work well, till I re-boot.

I tried numerous combinations of your suggestion. I can make it work re-boot all is fine, but as soon as I check "Virtualization" and re-boot, I'm doomed.

If I right click on the "Z" in my tray and run an unprotected browser, no problems. I'm convinced "Virtualization" is the problem, even with Browser Security on, but "Virtualization" off no problems, but as soon as I check that box and re-boot, error message.

Please more suggestions !!!!

Been running Outlook 2003 (in the past) and never had any problem. Do you have any add-on installed in outlook? If yes, try to disable it.

No further suggestion than installing ZAX 9.3.037 by first removing completely your version and then contacting the official technical support if the issue is still persistent.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Hello,

Virtulization is not compatible with all website and sounds like not compatible to call up Outlook from IE8.

There are no settings or workarounds for Virtulization besides turning it on or off.

I suggest you place a shortcut icon on your desktop for Outlook and only launch outlook from there instead from with in the browser.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

topshelf Guest

I reviewed your response and thank you.

What I don't understand is why does it work fine from within IE8 till I re-boot.

It would seem logical that if Outlook 2003 is not compatable from with IE8, then it wouldn't work at all.

Well Virtulization is frankly unpredictable.

That is why by default we turn it off when you install ZA. There just too many odd ball issues that can happen on PC's with virtulization turn on by default.

Sorry cant really give you any better explanation.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: What are your email options in Windows 7?

What are your email options in Windows 7?

....Many of those folks used Outlook Express for many years. OE was introduced in 1997 as part of Internet Explorer 4.0 and was included in Windows 98, 2000, Me and XP. Recently, as many XP users have bought new computers that come with Windows 7, they have been unhappy to find that part of Microsoft's initiative to cut down on "operating system bloat" included leaving out some of the extra applications - such as the email client.

That decision actually makes sense. There are many people who never used the built-in email client, so there's really no reason to have it cluttering up the hard drive. And it's not so much the fact that it isn't built-in that is bothering people, it's the fact that they aren't able to download and install Outlook Express on Windows 7. Microsoft actually dropped OE when they released Vista, which included an updated mail client called Windows Mail. Unlike OE, it wasn't designed as a part of Internet Explorer, but its interface was very similar to that of OE...

...Windows Live Mail is the free Microsoft mail client for Windows 7, and it can also be installed on Vista to replace Windows Mail....
    __________________________________________________ __________

Please click here to read the article > http://www.win7news.net/?id=33 < this will further explain the situation.
    My suggestion, click on the links for windows live mail - direct from microsoft - learn more and 'you'll probably have to learn how to use it' instead of OE - this is Microsoft's grand design. It would probably be better to have and keep 'virtualization' functioning and use 'live mail' instead of keeping old OE and have virtualization off - security wise - in my opinion.

Microsoft Windows Live Mail - Click here -> http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail <-

Click here -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...dows-live-mail <
    __________________________________________________ ________
    NaiveMelody NYC - 9-16-10 - The Letter - The Box Tops

Personally never used OE - just direct to Live 'Hotmail' or Yahoo.mail on my home pc or any outside pc (library's free pc usage, etc.)
    Last edited by naivemelody; September 16th, 2010 at 11:09 PM.

Thread Information