Thread: Problems after latest Microsoft Update installation

lptwigg Guest

Unhappy Problems after latest Microsoft Update installation

Hello! Today I installed the latest Microsoft update, for Windows XP, from Sept. 14, 2010.

Before the installation everything was working fine. After it, I could not get anything to work - It even would not recognize my thumb drive in Windows Explorer, although it would allow me to safely remove it. Firefox froze up during opening, literally everything stopped working.

I rebooted in safe mode, and restored the computer to before when I installed the updates, and I am able to use Firefox again, and my thumb drive shows up, just as two examples.

For fun and grins, I booted my laptop, that had not been up for a while, and first installed the Microsoft updates. Firefox worked fine on it. Then I upgraded Zonealarm, which was out of date and it gave me the most bizarre message, when I tried to open Firefox - a small box saying the the value of some number was not between the established limits. Wha??

I am now restoring the laptop to an earlier time.

I note that there seem to be no other reports of problems. Can anyone help me? I don't like not having updated Microsoft stuff, but I do need to be able to read my email...

Thanks!

Default Re: Problems after latest Microsoft Update installation

Quote Originally Posted by lptwigg View Post
    Hello! Today I installed the latest Microsoft update, for Windows XP, from Sept. 14, 2010.

Before the installation everything was working fine. After it, I could not get anything to work - It even would not recognize my thumb drive in Windows Explorer, although it would allow me to safely remove it. Firefox froze up during opening, literally everything stopped working.

I rebooted in safe mode, and restored the computer to before when I installed the updates, and I am able to use Firefox again, and my thumb drive shows up, just as two examples.

For fun and grins, I booted my laptop, that had not been up for a while, and first installed the Microsoft updates. Firefox worked fine on it. Then I upgraded Zonealarm, which was out of date and it gave me the most bizarre message, when I tried to open Firefox - a small box saying the the value of some number was not between the established limits. Wha??

I am now restoring the laptop to an earlier time.

I note that there seem to be no other reports of problems. Can anyone help me? I don't like not having updated Microsoft stuff, but I do need to be able to read my email...

Thanks!

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:
    Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit),

List your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and also the ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1,9.2,9.3),

List the Brand of Computer and CPU, also is it a DeskTop or Laptop computer.

Please List any other Security Programs installed as these programs may be conflicting with Zone Alarm.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

lptwigg Guest

Oops - so sorry!

My primary computer is a desktop, running XP, SP 3.
    Zonealarm Pro, 93-014-000.
    Nortons antivirus (does not specify version number in properties)
    The computer is not a name brand, my husband put it together. It has an AMD Atholon 64 processor.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron, running XP, and at this point, I have reverted back to an earlier version - can't look up the service pack - so forget my question about it.

Let's just focus on the primary computer. Have I given you all the info you need for that one?

Thanks!!

For version of Norton Antivirus: Click on the icon in the system tray, click help and support/about
    For Microsoft updates, try installing them manually one by one to see which one is causing your problems.

FYI I have XP pro SP3, ZA pro 9.3.014, NAV 17.7.0.12 (NAV 2010) and had no problems after installing the MS updates. I don't, however have Firefox, so maybe that is the difference that is causing your problems. Have you looked to see if there is an update to your Firefox version?

Quote Originally Posted by lptwigg View Post
    ...it gave me the most bizarre message, when I tried to open Firefox - a small box saying the the value of some number was not between the established limits. Wha??
    The Firefox message and the Windows and ZoneAlarm update are most likely totally separate issues.

Are you sure you did not update Firefox? Or that Firefox did not update automatically, which it does, by default, unless you change the update settings in Tools > Options > Advanced > Update?

Is the message like the one in the following post on the Firefox forum?
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/que...s=1.9.2.8&as=s

Thread Information