Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: zbot.zeus Notice

whocaresimnotcomingback Guest

Default Re: zbot.zeus Notice

Quote Originally Posted by tqt View Post
    Have the marketing folks from Checkpoint lost their minds????

Simply put: The 2nd one of these messages will be the last for me....and my customers!
    I'd just like to echo what tqt said - I spent a very frustrating afternoon trying to figure out (in this case for a friend) if this was scareware or genuine - l've only recently removed "AntiVirus Live" from several computers and wasn't taking any chances.

If at the very least the ZoneAlarm site had something that referenced this, then I might have been able to confirm what was going on.

Check Point, you've lost my custom - and that of anyone who asks me (of which there are many) what firewall they should use.

jkh Guest

so everybody is saying that they will be recommending new virus protection programs to their clients . . .

~Snip~
    as soon as i turned my pc on tonight the snap screen was the first i had displayed, and i though OMG ! Needless to say I checked it out first and amso glad I did. I only have ZA Free version. There is now no way that I would upgrade or renew with them again.
    Guess I'll have to Check "Google.com" for Free Software????
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 19th, 2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Removed for recommending competitor's software.

YrbkMgr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tqt View Post
    Have the marketing folks from Checkpoint lost their minds????
    So well put. As a sales and marketing consultant, I have to ask if the braniacs at CheckPoint understand why ZoneLabs was successful in the first place.

What they've done is said "Hey, we may no longer tell you the truth". Sure, if you carefully read the notice, you'll see that it does not indicate a current threat on your system. That, my good friends, is hiding intent behind semantics. The user base isn't dumb and ploys such as this only FORCE us to question whether or not we can trust what you tell us.

If the marketing results show that CheckPoint made some sales as a result, go give yourselves high fives and have a few cocktails. You'll be looking for new jobs when the company loses its user base, and eventually gets sold.

Good work. Unless, of course, you "cowboy up" and make good on this shameful event.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 19th, 2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Excessive Quote

stellablu Guest

I don't want to be an apologist for this company, because I really don't know much about it, or its work. But I do know that they have been keeping the nine computers on my small network safe for more than a decade.

So far I have not had any issues while being protected by Zone Alarm free, plus Spybot, AVG free, etc. Each machine is scanned every day for malware etc.

So maybe a bone-headed executive made a mistake by sending out this 'spam'. Or maybe not. Only some of my machines received the warning. Not all. That makes me think that there might be something to all of this.

Anyway, the matter will be dealt with by the brainier people out there. They will get to the bottom of it.

Until then, I'll put my faith in ZA free (although I won't buy their extra program).

I recognize that I am using a free program. I have used that free program for at least a decade. Did I get fair value from my free product? You bet.

Will I keep having faith in ZA free? Yes.

madhairyfaeglesca Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stellablu View Post
    So maybe a bone-headed executive made a mistake by sending out this 'spam'. Or maybe not. Only some of my machines received the warning. Not all. That makes me think that there might be something to all of this.Anyway, the matter will be dealt with by the brainier people out there. They will get to the bottom of it.
    Well, as we repeatedly get told, this forum isn't read by people from zone alarm or checkpoint and the nice people who run it have nothing to do with them. So us plebs can't expect to hear from them here. Also they will be awfully busy, being such important executives, in meetings and conferences and such, busy monetising, going forward, and all the rest.

As far as I'm concerned it's deliberate, it's stupid, and they are showing their contempt for us. They ought to expect the same from us.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 20th, 2010 at 01:16 PM.

madhairyfaeglesca Guest

Default Re: Scareware AND false advertising

Quote Originally Posted by liom View Post
    I know for a fact Avira and AVG free both detect zeus and that Avira active shield catches it on their free product. If this appeared in a magazine ZA could be sued, is it so different on the internet?
    I don't know if they could be sued, but since the statement is plainly false, and it's advertising, it is probably false advertising and misrepresentation. Both of which are a little bit illegal in many jurisdictions.

And if we are being lied to by a company which depends on trust, can we trust it to protect our computers whether through a free or paid for product?

I must look at this when I go back to the office, where we presently pay for Checkpoint software.

jeparham Guest

Angry Re: zbot.zeus Notice

I am at work and since everyone I work with comes to me for help with their home PCs, I just received a call from a coworker who had this scummy, scummy, scareware pop-up appear on his screen of his home computer. He is kinda high-strung anyway, and he was absolutely frantic, falsely believing he had a zeus.zbot.aoaq infection.

I did a quick search to see the particulars of the infection and found that it wasn't an infection, but rather an absolutely unbelievable attempt to sell ZoneAlarm.

I've just gotten off the phone with him, after calming him down and assuring him the only infection he actually had on his PC was ZoneAlarm.

I assured him that I'd drop by this afternoon with a copy of ~Snip~ for him.

Right now, I am about to go uninstall ZoneAlarm from every PC I manage, own, or otherwise control, and from this point forward ZoneAlarm WILL NEVER BE USED ON ANY PC I CONTROL. EVER.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the rule about no competing software being called by name. jp
    Last edited by jeparham; September 20th, 2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Removed for recommending competitor's software

emmenlau Guest

Angry Re: zbot.zeus Notice

Its really sad when a previously positive project falls so deep. Scareware is malware, because it thrives on the less informed users. I will have to warn my environment about the possible thread that ZoneAlarm is :-( :-(

aglennon Guest

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...est=zafree_icm

The above link was opened when I clicked the Pop Up ZoneAlarm Zeus scare tactic, which appeared when I started my PC today. This same Zeus Pop Up showed up on my grandmother's PC yesterday and scared her to death, making her think she did something wrong and has made her think her PC is now infected.

Advertising is one thing. But when the ad makes it appear that one's computer is infected, well that's not right.

I just spent two weeks cleaning (fighting) a new laptop with Windows 7 that was infected with the Security Master AV. This trick convinces the user to click on the alerts, which say it will clean the infection, and of course, it just makes it worse, all along repeatedly asking for a credit card number. This Security Master AV looks very much like a Windows 7 security alert. And what ZoneAlarm popped up today, instantly reminded me of the same scam.

When someone gets an infection, they become frightened to even click on any strange-looking pop-up in the future. I work in hardware and software, and the new ZoneAlarm Zeus pop-up even fooled me at first. What a dirty trick.

I've used ZoneAlarm Free Firewall for many years and also install it on friends' PCs. But please stop with the new way of "advertising" upgrades. These scare tactics will only make customers lose trust in ZoneAlarm products and switch to a different company's program.

Please be more considerate in your marketing. And thank you for making it so easy to find an email address for your company.

Supergrover Guest

I had a couple of family members call me up and insist that Zonealarm was informing them their computer was infected. I'll have to see if this was the exact message they got (I suspect it is). I also have an email from another friend titled 'call me...computer help'...wondering if its the same thing.

I am not going to stomp my feet too much as I have enjoyed the product over the years I used it. It is appreciated. Pity my last thoughts of this company will be me driving out to friends and families houses to remove the product.

But something like this tells me the company has taken a turn in a direction that worries me.

So it is better now to say 'Thanks ZA it was great while it lasted' before any relative or friend gets too confused about real ads from ZA and actual spyware.

Again, I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat who expects great products for free; but there are plenty of alternatives, and I cannot risk having folks get confused over ZA and malware.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information