Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: zbot.zeus Notice

Default Re: zbot.zeus Notice

We thought we were being proactive with our virus message. After listening to consumer feedback, we realized that it was mis-interpreted and have turned the pop-up message off.

The popup message in ZoneAlarm Free Firewall was intended as an alert to a virus our technology discovered.

We wanted to proactively let our users know that ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and other AV products do not fully protect from this virus.

It was never our intent to lead customers to believe they have a virus on their computer. This was purely an informative message about a legitimate and serious virus that also included information about the differences in protection of various products, and how to get protection against it.

ZoneAlarm is committed to providing our customers with the best protection and considers it our job to proactively alert users whenever a potential risk is looming rather than wait for the damage to be done.

ZoneAlarm Team
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; September 22nd, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

NoLongerAUser Guest

Thumbs down Re: zbot.zeus Notice

I just registered so I can say ~Bleep~ I am uninstalling Zonealarm immediately and will be using ~Snip~ from now on (and I'll also suggest to all my friends that they do the same). Shame on you, Checkpoint/Zonealarm for this SLEAZY marketing horsecrap. You've lost a customer for life, and I say this as someone who has been using ZA for years and years. But not anymore- you jerks screwed up.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 20th, 2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: offtopic and abusive language

NoLongerAUser Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    The popup message in ZoneAlarm Free Firewall was intended as an alert to a virus our technology discovered.
    No it wasn't- it was a sleazy trick to get more revenue, and it looks like it blew up in your face. Way to con your customers, who are now leaving in droves.

anglico Guest

Like most people here, I help friends and family with their computer troubles and have been recommending ZA free for years. I have enjoyed zonealarm free and have even done the beta test for the Internet Suite a while back, which I did like a lot.
    If this was just an informational alert like the forum administrator is 'saying' then there should have been a statement in the dialog box that said so.
    ~Snip~

Anyway, just logged in to say SEE YA ZONEALARM! There are much better free products out there, with feature sets well beyond yours.
    You see, it was the trust I had with your company that kept me as a customer, but like my last girlfriend, you can't be trusted so like her, I'm kicking you to the curb! Tell her I said hi!
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 20th, 2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Offtopic

HarryGB Guest

Yes I was a happy customer of Zonelabs for many years. Things went downhill after Checkpoint took over, so this year I switched to ~Bleep~.

I hate this scaremongering that preys on people who are less knowledgable about computers. Criminals use exactly the same tactic to persuade people to install trojans.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 20th, 2010 at 04:02 PM.

Hello,

I wanted to pass this information I just recieved on to all users of the ZoneAlarm Free Firewall.

ZoneAlarm product team has turned off the pop-up virus alert in ZoneAlarm Free firewall.

Best regards,
    Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; September 21st, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Brandon Abell Guest

You know what would be awesome? If a manufacturer of home pregnancy tests decided to give out free samples of their test strips and had the little plus sign indicating a "positive" test, but was actually a different color than the real one. And then when their customers complained about the misleading appearance of a false positive, they just replied with some daft statement about how their "new technology" included in the pregnancy tests you can buy in the store would detect pregnancies that the free test didn't. "You might be pregnant and not know it!" Some cruft about how they were actually just trying to inform their customers, etc.

How might the reaction be? How many customers would you expect would stay around after that?

I see you've discontinued your practice. But guess what? Too little, too late. Bye bye company.

anglico Guest

First I love the pregnancy test example, impressive analogy Brandon, very good.
    Second to the 'moderator' "ZoneAlarm Marketing team has turn off this pop-up alert in ZoneAlarm Free firewall." your post is spelled like a spammer wrote it, and since your company spammed me the other morning it makes sense. Im guessing you will ~snip~ that last (but very valid) comment

PowersOfTen Guest

I just registered for the forum to say this:

I have used ZA for years and installed it on the computers of a number of family members.

I'm sorry to say that I will have to go through the trouble of removing every one of those installations. There are plenty of other free products out there that don't use these kinds of marketing tactics.

Farewell to a once trustworthy firewall.

olive Guest

I've switched to Free ~Bleep~ firewall a couple of years ago and never looked back.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 20th, 2010 at 07:01 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information