Thread: Bandwidth choked

iulian28ti Guest

Default Bandwidth choked

Hello guys, i hope you can help me with this one. Rather bizzare issue actually.

It all started when i tried to download CCleaner.

After i pressed download (selected the mirror), the download started. To my surprise, it moved at a whopping 16kbps

So i checked the modem graphs. My computer is downloading and uploading at the same time, choking the bandwidth.

I closed all suspicious processes and checked all update-able programs, but the show continues for a couple of minutes.

This happens on a regular basis, sometimes when i open firefox, sometimes as soon as i connect to the internet.

Anyone knows why this happens ?

iulian28ti Guest

Default Re: Bandwidth choked

Oh, and lately.... it just uploads most of the time.

iulian28ti Guest

This can be perfectly normal... you can't download without uploading and vice versa especially on DSL connections. You will always have this type of exchange up/dw. As far as I know it is by design. For speed issues I would check with your ISP and ask for a test of the line or an on-site visit.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

iulian28ti Guest

Thanks for the quick reply.

My problem is that... i am not downloading or uploading anything when idle, but my upload is choked.

And when i do download something, the download is incredibly slow, while the bandwidth is entirely choked (UL & DL)

Yes, there is always a certain extent of up/dw, this can be perfectly normal. And then download you must have a certain amount of continous uploading. This is by design. You would not be able to download without a flow of uploading.

If then your downloads are slow you will need to troubleshoot the issue with your ISP. This may depend on many different factors... for example, the distance between your modem/router and the ISP line box. It can depend on your wireless device (if you connect with wireless) and in general on the quality (noise level) of the signal channeled through your home wires.

If you think there is something wrong on your system then try to reformat it and reinstall from original disks, fully update the system with all fixes and patches. Update all PC drivers and check for malware.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information