Thread: Updates is sick

norbert Guest

Thumbs down Updates is sick

I set my updates to run every 24 hours. My computer starts up automatically every morning at 0630 and is on all day. I manually did my first update at 0730.

Problems:

1) If I am using my computer past midnight (local time) then ZA detects a new day and starts an update, eventhough it is 6 hours before the set time!!. Very annoying.

2) Since my computer is not on at 0100 then the update doesn't happen and ZA gets confused. I just checked my updates and the record shows that the last update was 2010 09 16 11:13 and that I aborted the update on 2010 09 20 06:57. 4 days without an update!

I aborted because the computer was not finished running the startup programs

I would set up more frequent updates, BUT the update takes to long and really slow down the computer.

Default Re: Updates is sick

Quote Originally Posted by norbert View Post
    I set my updates to run every 24 hours. My computer starts up automatically every morning at 0630 and is on all day. I manually did my first update at 0730.

Problems:

1) If I am using my computer past midnight (local time) then ZA detects a new day and starts an update, eventhough it is 6 hours before the set time!!. Very annoying.

2) Since my computer is not on at 0100 then the update doesn't happen and ZA gets confused. I just checked my updates and the record shows that the last update was 2010 09 16 11:13 and that I aborted the update on 2010 09 20 06:57. 4 days without an update!

I would set up more frequent updates, BUT the update takes to long and really slow down the computer.
    It would help us try to Diagnose your problem if you gave us mose information..

What Type and Version of Zone Alarm, if it's and old version, the problem may have been fix with version 9.3.037

is this Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7?

Laptop, Netbook, Desktop?

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:

Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit),

List your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and also the ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1,9.2,9.3),
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi!

not really sure what the time setup you are trying to explain. Local, Computer, 6 hours before, etc.

Instead of waiting for other users hints, that may be unlikely to come (difficult to understand the issue and no information on OS, ZA used, copy/paste of the logs of the update section), it is probably better to contact directly the ZA technical support and explain, as clear as possible, the problem. The link to technical support is in my signature.

Please do not hesitate to post back if you find a solution with ZA staff.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

norbert Guest

Thumbs down Re: Updates is sick

Sorry about the lack of details. Zone alarm 9.3.014.000 Windows XP
    Desktop with direct connection to Internet

This does not sound good, you have probably a slow or overloaded system and ZA cannot cope with it. If ZA is off at the time of update it will try the next time the PC is ON. If you abort it and the action get repeated with ZA set to update only every 24h then its normal that ZA will leave you without updates for several days or forever.

Personally, I would either clean up the system to speed it up and/or upgrade its hardware (e.g. RAM) or trying to find a simpler security solution able to cope with the system.

It is important that you update as frequent as possible (thousands of viruses are released every few hours) otherwise you are spending money on a security tool that is effectively under and suboptimally used

You can still try with the official support, to see if they have some troubleshoot steps to offer you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Sorry about the lack of details. Zone alarm 9.3.014.000 Windows XP
    Desktop with direct connection to Internet
    Thank you for the Added information..

Please Click on the Tech Support Live Chat link in my Signature..

and provide them with the details of your problem..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information