Thread: [SOLVED] Computer Crashes on Virus Scan --> PREVX Conflict

Sunna Guest

Default [SOLVED] Computer Crashes on Virus Scan --> PREVX Conflict

My laptop (Vista Home Premium, SP2) started crashing today. Other than email, nothing was downloaded or installed today and it was running fine overnight.

I finally noticed ZA (ZA Extreme Security 9.3.014.000) was starting a scan just before it crashed. On the next reboot, I turned off the scheduled scan and initiated the scan myself and it crashed. Since re-booting from that crash,with no scheduled scan, the computer has run normally.

I noticed one post mentioned ZA doesn't play nice with other virus programs. I have Prevx (monitoring only) and SuperAntiSpyware running. They've been installed since August 29 (ZA since August 18).

Could one of these taken this long to cause a problem? If not, what else should I look at?

SunnaShepherd

Default Re: Computer Crashes on Virus Scan

Try to run a scan in SAFE MODE with networking. If this will work then you have an application running in normal mode that conflicts with ZA.

It can also be linked to corrupted files... take note of the file it crash on.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Sunna Guest

Default Solved: Computer Crashes on Virus Scan

Sorry, running in Safe Mode with Networking wasn't too helpful. I kept adding the security packages (anti-viral and others) and everything worked. I already knew there was a program conflicting with ZoneAlarm. The trick was to find it.

Zone Alarm Tech Chat Greg K. suggested using msconfig. This was much easier than Safe Mode (although it is a form of it). I started stripped down to Microsoft and ZoneAlarm. Gradually added programs until Prevx 3.0 caused the virus scan to crash the PC. Uninstalled Prevx and continued to add programs with no more crashes. Now I'm back to scheduled scans.

Since I asked for my chat session to be emailed to me, I hope I can remember to use msconfig the next time I have problems.

Default Re: Computer Crashes on Virus Scan

Yes, msconfig would have been my next suggestion if SafeMode was working. Next time either feedback the users here of contact directly the official support.

Anyway, I would recommend you write to PREVX support about the issue. So they can address it in future versions.

Cheers,
    Fax

EDIT: User reported to have solved the issue by removing PREVX and malwarebytes
    Last edited by fax; September 27th, 2010 at 04:35 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information