Thread: ZAISS BSOD before install

ctromley Guest

Default ZAISS BSOD before install

I have an old IBM laptop running Windows XP Pro version 5.1 SP3, updated regularly. It has 9+ GB of free space on the hard drive. Was running Spybot S&D along with the free version of Avira antivirus. I know it's a bad idea to combine, but they played well for years.

Recently the PC has been running VERY slowly. Disabling Spybot's teatimer fixed it, so I decided to step up and install my third seat of ZAISS on it. Removed Spybot (with teatimer) and Avira along with some other unused progams and did a disk defrag.

I downloaded zaSuiteSetup_93_037_000_en.exe. When I run it I get a little dialog saying it's initializing, then straight to BSOD. The line describing the fault says "*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X804D9079, 0XF4A4FB08, 0X00000000)" (The third "word" in parentheses changes each time this happens.) Then it counts down as it dumps memory and restarts.

So I can't even begin to install ZAISS before it bails. Any ideas?

Chris

Default Re: ZAISS BSOD before install

Hi!

have you checked the error by goggleing it? I found references to someone infected by a rootkit and someone else with RAM problems.

Can't you simply re-format the HD and reinstall the system fresh ?

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ctromley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    have you checked the error by goggleing it?
    OK, you've exposed me as enough as a noob to not have thought of that. I looked into it a bit, realized I had installed a new printer a month ago, and uninstalled it. Tried ZA again, same thing. Did a system restore to before the printer was installed, and now ZA gets farther into the install like it did the first time - which made me realize I had left out some critical info.

The first time this happened I got a dialog during the install process that said something like, "True Vector service has encountered a problem and needs to close ...." The dialog would go away when you clicked it, but came back three more times before I got a blue screen.

Is True Vector a part of ZA? Does that give a clue as to what I need to do to clear the way for ZA?

Can't you simply re-format the HD and reinstall the system fresh ?
    Oh, I hope it doesn't come to that. For me, "simply" does not go with "re-format the HD and reinstall the system."

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ctromley View Post
    OK, you've exposed me as enough as a noob to not have thought of that. I looked into it a bit, realized I had installed a new printer a month ago, and uninstalled it. Tried ZA again, same thing. Did a system restore to before the printer was installed, and now ZA gets farther into the install like it did the first time - which made me realize I had left out some critical info.

The first time this happened I got a dialog during the install process that said something like, "True Vector service has encountered a problem and needs to close ...." The dialog would go away when you clicked it, but came back three more times before I got a blue screen.

Is True Vector a part of ZA? Does that give a clue as to what I need to do to clear the way for ZA?

Oh, I hope it doesn't come to that. For me, "simply" does not go with "re-format the HD and reinstall the system."

Chris
    I agree with Guru Fax,

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Considering the level of problems you have I would rather suggest you direct yourself to ZA technical support for a proper (step-by-step) troubleshooting of the issues.
    Click the Link to Live Chat support in my signature.

Please provide Tech Support with this additional information:

ZAISS version
    PC CPU speed
    PC memory Size
    version of Windows including Service packs Update
    Is this a Laptop, Netbook or Desktop and Brand name?

Please List any other Security Programs installed as these programs may be conflicting with Zone Alarm.

Please post back here if you find a Solution to your BSOD, as that may help other Users..

Thank You..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 23rd, 2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: update
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Are you running a Lenovo brand computer? Do you have fingerprint recognition? Last year or more, there were post about issues on that level. You can search the ZA forum for Lenovo to get more insights.

Vsmon is part of ZA, is the main firewall and antivirus driver.

What I would suggest is not to remove any left over of the installation following the all the steps detailed here:
    I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (XP/2000)

Then ensure you don't have any sevurity tools left overs. ZASS does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avast free, NOD, Kaspersky, Comodo, Rising, PC Doctor, MS Security Essential, AVIRA and many others. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should. Double check you have really removed all other security tools by running this utility
    http://www.appremover.com/

Check the system for malware. Check with MBAM and SuperAntispyware. See links here:
    Malware Clean-up Guidance

Then boot the laptop only with XP/Microsoft related program/services, this way:

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

[NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.]

Now, after ensuring you are installing the latest version of ZASS (9.3.036) runf the installer and see if you can go further.

If all the above fails you can try to install it in SAFE MODE, but this is really the last resort and it is usually not recommended. Follow GeorgeV suggestion and write to official support.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information