Thread: Conflict with (Old!) Acrobat 6.0.6 Standard?

jclarkw Guest

Default Conflict with (Old!) Acrobat 6.0.6 Standard?

Looking for a work-around -- I ASSUME this is a ForceField problem, although I'm actually running a protected instance of Internet Explorer 8 in ZA Extreme Security Suite 9.3.037 from a "limited user" account under Windows XP SP3:

Whenever I click on a link to a PDF, Acrobat (6.0.6 Standard, not reader) starts to open and then hangs trying to load all of its APIs, etc. Starting up Acrobat (which otherwise runs fine) before clicking the link doesn't help. Opening the same link in an unprotected browser works fine, however, nor do I have any trouble with protected browsing on an otherwise similar computer having Acrobat 9 installed.

Even if we can't get this to work properly, I need a way to prevent the hang whenever I accidentally stumble on a PDF link while protected browsing -- it just takes too much time to shutdown (EXTREMELY slow!) and re-boot. I tried disabling all of the Adobe add-ons in the protected version of the browser, but Acrobat still starts and then hangs. I also tried installing Acrobat Reader 9 over top of Acrobat 6, but that just damaged Acrobat 6. (I'm not going to purchase a new copy of Acrobat just to solve this problem!) Any ideas? -- jclarkw

Default Re: Conflict with (Old!) Acrobat 6.0.6 Standard?

Hi!
    Acrobat 6 was developed/published back in 2003 while forcefield has been released in 2008/2009. You can expect compatibility with version 9 and probably 8 (back in 2006) but don't expect testing is done on a 7/8 years old software.

The only solution I see is to open an unprotected browser and load the PDF from there. Otherwise you may want to check with ZA official support for any alternative solution.

Using such an old version opens up to several serious security vulnerabilities and is not recommendable. Personally I would try to use alternative tools to create PDF. There are freeware tools to created PDF files (e.g. open office), while MS office 2007/2010 has this native possibility embedded (add-on in office 2007). I have since given up from adobe and only use latest reader + office to generate PDFs. I am sure there are more open/free software to manage PDFs.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; October 16th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jclarkw Guest

Thanks again, Fax; point taken about security. (Of course this old machine also came with an old version of MS-Office without native PDF creation -- 2003 SP3 -- although Microsoft still seems to support it with security updates.)

Before I completely abandon this misguided approach, perhaps you can tell me a little about how ForceField compartmentalizes things. IE APPEARS to retain independent settings for each user and, of more interest here, for protected vs. unprotected execution. If this is really the case, I was hoping to disable certain browser add-ons for the protected instance only (once I realize there's a PDF there, I can simply save it as a file and open it offline), but I can't seem to make this work. Is it possible?

Failing that, I suppose I could disable the offending add-ons globally, since I shouldn't be using Acrobat 6 online fpr seciurity reasons... -- jclarkw

Hi!

it should be possible to "save as" files to your desktop and open it offline. I honestly don't know the behaviour of forcefield for different users. You may want to test it and see how it works.

The opening offline will unfortunately not save you from all security risks. So, disabling the add-on has limited effect.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information