Thread: Win 7 BSOD - Microsoft's Message to Check Point

steve r w Guest

Default Win 7 BSOD - Microsoft's Message to Check Point

See here:

~Snip~

Although they do also appear to be saying that Zone Alarm may be having difficulty using the Realtek network driver Rt64win7.sys, Microsoft are, nevertheless, explicitly stating that Zone Alarm is at fault for some BSOD problems in Windows 7 - including mine.

What is Check Point's position on this please?

Please note that I have not been able to confirm - so far - that Realtek are the source of the driver Rt64win7.sys. There is no such file at Realtek's download site and I have written to their Taiwan office and am waiting for a reply.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 29th, 2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: This is not a Chat forum, and Links to other Chat Forums Violate ZA Forum Giuldlines

Post Re: Win 7 BSOD - Microsoft's Message to Check Point

Quote Originally Posted by steve r w View Post
    See here:

~Snip~

Although they do also appear to be saying that Zone Alarm may be having difficulty using the Realtek network driver Rt64win7.sys, Microsoft are, nevertheless, explicitly stating that Zone Alarm is at fault for some BSOD problems in Windows 7 - including mine.

What is Check Point's position on this please?

Please note that I have not been able to confirm - so far - that Realtek are the source of the driver Rt64win7.sys. There is no such file at Realtek's download site and I have written to their Taiwan office and am waiting for a reply.
    Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction.. Tech Support and Customer Service do not Monitor this ZA user Forum.

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

If you want actual help post some details like the Type and version number of Zone Alarm, your Windows OS types and Sp level.

You PC specs and your internet connect details.

Sounds mainly like a bad Install or a PC that is under our minimum requirements or just barely makes the minimum or a very slow internet connection.

It could be a conflict at boot, another application is fighting with ZA at boot to be the first to load. This is definitely an issue related to your PC and not a general bug.

Most New Computers come with other Trial Security Software installed that will Conflict with Zone Alarm and may cause BSOD's

Could be malware or virus thats on the PC too trying to cause havoc.

*** NOTICE:

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:

Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit),

List your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and also the ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1,9.2,9.3),

List the Brand of Computer and CPU, also is it a DeskTop or Laptop computer.

Please List any other Security Programs installed as these programs may be conflicting with Zone Alarm.

So if you like help give us some details or if you just bought ZA and are within 30 days of the purchase date you can contact customer service chat for a full refund.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 29th, 2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

steve r w Guest

Default Re: Win 7 BSOD - Microsoft's Message to Check Point

Hi GeorgeV,

Thank you for replying - though I don't understand why you thought it necessary to lecture me.

I posted full details at the Microsoft site and provided a link to those details in my original post here. In addition, at the Microsoft site, there is an onward link to some memory dump info.

The link I provided here has been replaced by the red word "Snip". I have no idea what that means, and it has nothing to do with me.

Anyway, here is a cut and paste:

I purchased a new PC for work:
    Model : Toshiba Satellite
    Date of Purchase: 21/11/2009
    Serial Number : X9913310K

Later I purchased a new PC for my daughter:
    Model : Dell Inspiron N5010
    Date of Purchase: 29/08/2010
    Express Service Code 344-306-085-49

Both machines are running Windows 7 64-bit, and both machines have auto-update switched on. Both run Zone Alarm (ver. 9.2.044.000) - but run different anti-virus. I un-installed and deleted any trial security software from both machines.

I have been working with PCs for over 40 years and I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing. I'm fairly certain that I left no trace of the trial security software on both machines. Both machines are regularly updated and scanned and I would be very surprised if either has a virus. Although, of course, no one can ever be absolutely certain ...

I have been using three wireless broadband connections - one at home and two at customer sites. My daughter has only used the home connection so far.

Obviously, both machines have very high, modern, specs. and are from highly respected manufacturers.

Both of us have been suffering from frequent Blue Screen failures.

Both machines were purchased from DSGI stores.

I therefore ran Event Viewer on both machines (eventvwr.msc). The results for both were exactly the same: Both machines are experiencing regular Critical Windows 7 failures:
    - Event ID: 41
    - Source: Kernel Power

I reported this to the DSGI Help Desk (a.k.a. the Tech Guys – Their Customer Ref. No.: 3334745934). They replied, 20th September, saying that they were unable to help.

The Tech Guys agreed with me that as both machines are from different manufacturers it seems unlikely that the failures are hardware based.

Although there is a very slim chance that both OEMs have made the same error in implementing Windows 7, or have sourced a part from the same manufacturer - and have both overlooked some shortcoming in that sourced part - it seems very unlikely.

I agree with the Tech Guys diagnosis: “It would appear that this issue is software based”.

The Tech Guys also suggested that this failure: “ … usually occurs due to something going awry during the process of entering or leaving hibernation and/or sleep mode.” This is not supported by the facts. My daughter and I both experience the Blue Screen failures during normal - full power, mains electricity connected - use. In addition, neither of us has altered the manufacturers default settings for hibernation or sleep mode.

I hear what you say about the fact that both are new machines and therefore some trial software or manufacturers' utilities may be fighting with ZA to start first - I will take that on board and have another look.

In the meantime, when I reported the problems to Microsoft, they asked me to provide memory dumps and their analysis based on these is:
    "Zone Alarm is always the cause:

nt!KeBugCheckEx
    nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0x4904
    nt!RtlEnoughStackSpaceForStackCapture+0x15
    nt!RtlWalkFrameChain+0x59
    nt!RtlCaptureStackBackTrace+0x4b
    vsdatant+0x1125c
    0xfffffa80`04f00600
    vsdatant +0x64110
    0x2

Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vsdatant.sys
    Image name: vsdatant.sys
    Timestamp: Sun May 09 18:28:58 2010

Update first your Realtek network driver:

Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Rt64win7.sys
    Image name: Rt64win7.sys
    Timestamp: Fri May 22 16:52:30 2009

If this doesn't solve it, remove ZoneAlarm."

What do you think GeorgeV?

I would provide you with a link - except that someone deletes my links - so that you can take a look at the dumps yourself.

By the way, Realtek have so far not replied to my request for info. on the driver Rt64win7.sys and - although I have found a couple of near matches at Realtek's Net site - I am not confident that I have found an exact match for my WLAN. Again, I would provide you with a link, but ...

According to Device Manager all my drivers are up to date anyway, so I think Microsoft are on the wrong track here.

I appreciate that it can be difficult to help at a distance. Thank you for trying. If you need any further info. just leave a message - I'll be back. I've heard that before somewhere ...
    Last edited by steve r w; September 30th, 2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: typos

Hi!
    please note we are all users here, ZA staff does not monitor this board. Posting this information here have little or none use or value. You should contact ZA technical support and report them about your findings.

Only this way, there will be a chance that this is looked at, troubleshooted and escalated (if ZA related).

You also give no details of the ZA used, by contacting ZA you wil be forced to do that

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

steve r w Guest

Sorry guys,

I was directed here from Check Point's Net site - so I was easily confused by the fact that their logos appear at the top of the page. I thought this was a forum connecting to CP Tech Support.

You can kill this thread and kill my login too, I won't be back.

Cheers, Steve.

You're welcome!
    Do not hesitate to contact the official support for any further issue you may have.

Thanks,
    fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information