Thread: Internet vs Trusted zones?

BeauRick Guest

Default Internet vs Trusted zones?

Hello,

(This site seems awfully familiar to Gnutella, so please forgive if you've heard these questions from me before)

I don't understand why Home Networks would require a different standard of protection, ie. ZA suggests "Trusted - Home" and I've taken this to mean any PC in the home environment, whether part of a LAN or not.

At the moment I have a Home Wireless LAN and I am concerned about it's security. Scenario: A PC gets infected and can send it on to all the other PC's in my house, because the LAN is in the Trusted zone for file/printer sharing.

It seems to me that setting the Firewall to Internet zone simply defeats the purpose of communication with others' on the LAN... and device sharing?

Regards,
    Frederick
    [Brisbane, Australia]

BeauRick Guest

Default Re: Internet vs Trusted zones?

Aha, it seems I've been beaten to the punch on this topic... my apologies! for posting again...

Though I think my question (para 2) regarding spread of infection through the LAN PC's has not necessarily been answered yet?

Also, ZA staffers that write the instruction screens need to point out more clearly, if they mean Trusted for Home, Office, etc Local Area Networks...
    NOT simply any home computer (that is directly connected to the Internet).

Lest the poor User could find out the hard way (as I did) that some of the most severe viruses, have a clear entry (ie. the likes of "ave.exe" - you can research it's devastating effects by doing a search on the Net - it's not new) and ZA's heuristic engine and scans don't even detect it!

Too-boot, you'll also be ignored by ZA's Technical Support - it seems they don't know about it and don't want to!

And, if I've got any of these concepts wrong, then by all means correct me... (blow my socks off) I won't mind at all.
    Last edited by BeauRick; September 29th, 2010 at 11:41 PM.

Hi!

sorry all users here, ZA staff does not monitor this board. Also note that ZAfree is not supposed to subsitute your antimalware tools that you have hopefully installed on the system. Also ZAfree lacks of the many advance features for protecting the system that you only find in retails versions. If you want antivirus and malware protection you need to move up to other solutions.

Under this scenario the role of trusted and internet is negligible since once the malware is on your computer its already too late. You need to prevent its installation. Trusted/internet is manly relevant for the sharing of resources within or outside a lan.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

BeauRick Guest

OK, sorry... I've posted my story in the wrong place.

But I was using ZA with AntiVirus (commercial version) at the time.
    Last edited by BeauRick; September 30th, 2010 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauRick View Post
    But I was using ZA with AntiVirus (commercial version) at the time.
    Then see here if ever you will use again retail version of ZA:
    xyz was not detected. What I should do?

Thanks,
    Fax

BeauRick Guest

Very sorry for any misunderstanding.

Actually I came to this board seeking clarification that ZA free Firewall recognizes Internet calls, and gives them scrutiny... as opposed to calls from the PC's in my LAN (which have keyed security to a Router).

I have 1 PC with ZA free Firewall on it (because v 9.2 has received good reviews) and assume from other Posts here, that although it's set to Trusted for the LAN... any other calls are treated as Internet calls. Is this correct?

There doesn't seem to be an option to have two different Firewall settings, ie. one for the Internet and another recognizing calls from the PC's in the LAN. Kaspersky does and that's what raised my attention regards ZoneAlarm free.

Yes, I do run other Anti-Virus, Malware, and Spyware scans.
    Last edited by BeauRick; September 30th, 2010 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauRick View Post
    I have 1 PC with ZA free Firewall on it (because v 9.2 has received good reviews) and assume from other Posts here, that although it's set to Trusted for the LAN... any other calls are treated as Internet calls. Is this correct?
    Thats correct. Setting the network as trusted where the network is your LAN (typically 192.168.X.X/255.255....) does not mean making internet calls as trusted. Settings your LAN as trusted is only needed if your sharing resources on your LAN (files, printers, etc) otherwise you can set your LAN as internet with the recommendation to have your IP router (often corresponding to your DHCP), DHCP and DNS set as TRUSTED, otherwise you will risk to loose the connection or having problems of connection.

Also the ZA firewall trusted zone should be set to MEDIUM and not to HIGH. You should have also an entry to 127.0.0.0 (localhost) set as trusted in the ZA firewall zone.

Cheers,
    Fax

BeauRick Guest

Cool Re: Internet vs Trusted zones?

OK... thank-you "Fax"... of course Cheers and Best Regards

Thread Information