Thread: Install problems with latest ZA update

lauranne Guest

Default Install problems with latest ZA update

I'm runnning XP SP3 on a Dell Dimension; I installed the latest ZA update, the installation did not complete and the computer froze. When I rebooted no driver's loaded and functionality was at 0, no programs would open. I rebooted in safe mode and was able to open programs, I uninstalled Zone Alarm and when I rebooted everything was fine. I decided to try again with the upgrade and had the same results.

I read here that you should stop your anti-virus running when upgrading, is that the problem or should if I purchase a version of ZA instead of the free version, will that overcome the problem? I like running ZA so would like to find a solution.

Default Re: Install problems with latest ZA update

Hi!

first you should try to remove any ZA left overs that may create problems to the new install. Follow the instruction here to remove core ZA files from the system. Download the latest ZAFREE from here and try again.

If the above fails then try to boot your system without any third party software than your XP drivers/executables this way:

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

Now try to install the latest ZAFREE (that you find here)

If ZA install install correctly then something else then your ZA running at boot is conflicting with ZA. Slowly re-enable the entries in MSCONFIG (first the items listed in the services then the startup items) by group of two or three or four. This way you will find what is conflicting with ZA that you will need to remove to install ZA.

If ZA fails to install then you may have a corruption in the OS (XP) or a malware infection. For the first try to re-fresh the OS by reinstalling it. For the latter (malware infection) try to run MBAM and superantispyware as detailed here.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Fax
    P.S. You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the General tab.
    Last edited by fax; October 2nd, 2010 at 12:43 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information