Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WORKAROUND] Win7 64bit backup/restore issue with Win.Home Server -> Upgrade to ZAPRO

dapjukebox Guest

Default [WORKAROUND] Win7 64bit backup/restore issue with Win.Home Server -> Upgrade to ZAPRO

I tried out the latest version of ZA free (9.2.076) on my laptop which runs Win7 32bit and had no problems.

After installing on desktop machine which runs Win7 64bit i started to get daily backup failures with my Windows Home Server.

As it was working ok on my laptop i dismissed this as a ZA problem but after further investigation it turned out it was the firewall that was causing the problem.

The settings on both machines are identical and my lan is set as a trusted network.
    I get no alerts from ZA during the backup but it fails saying the connection was lost. It is also not possible to view backups on the server from the desktop pc, it always fails with an error saying it could not mount the image.
    This all works 100% on the laptop running 32bit. One strange thing is if i start a backup manually it works, it just seems to block the automatic daily backup.
    If i disable ZA them everything works perfectly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as i would like to keep using ZA. After trying out several other free offerings i find ZA to be the most usable.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: ZA + Win7 64bit blocks backup and restore with Windows Home Server

Yes we seen this report before. The back up failures are CRC errors.

Other users have done chkdsk /f/r to fix issues and there are all kinds of other suggestions and MS utilities to run on the web, try Google.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dapjukebox Guest

Thanks for the reply.
    I have tried all of the things that google has thrown up but none of them has resolved the issue.
    Chkdsk reports no errors.
    If this was the problem i would assume a manual backup would also fail.
    The only thing that resolves it is to shutdown zonealarm.
    With zonealarm running i can't even view the backups on the server but as soon as i shut down zonealarm normality is resumed.

Tomorrow i will try adding another hd to the pc and do a temp install of win7 and zonealarm and try that.

Well could be as simple as ZA doing its job keeping unwanted traffic from accessing the PC its installed on.

Try setting the Internet security zone and trusted zone security to Medium and try again.

Check the Zones and make sure your network adapter is in the Trusted zone and not the internet zone.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

dapjukebox Guest

I think i have just about given up with this.
    My LAN is in the trusted zone.
    As the server is also used to share printers it's ip address was already added to the trusted zone.
    I tried your sugestion of setting both zones to medium but still the same.
    Even with both zones set to off it still fails. There are no pop ups from ZA and there is nothing recorded in the logs. The only thing that works is closing ZA completly.
    I have also tried uninstalling and re-installing but no change.
    I did find several people with the same problem on a Microsoft forum. It was never resolved apart from removing zonealarm. They were all using an older version but it seems the problem still exists.
    The laptop running 32bit is still running ok with no problems.
    If i get a chance i will try a fresh install on a spare HD to see what happens on a clean installation.

dapjukebox Guest

After further research i have discovered the problem seems to be some sort of interaction between ZA Free and microsoft security essentials but as far as i can see it's only on a 64bit OS.
    On a clean install of Win7 64bit + all updates i tried the following:
    Installed home server connector and test - ok
    Installed ZA Free and test - ok
    Installed MSE and test - fail - unable to mount backup error
    Restored machine back to clean install, installed MSE and test - ok
    Installed ZA Free and test - fail - unable to mount backup error
    Shutdown ZA and test - ok
    Restarted ZA and dissabled real time protection in MSE and test - ok
    Very strange and very annoying!!

Have you tried to exclude main ZA processes from MSE? Not sure if there is an option but MSE should have one for excluding completely files/folders/processes such us the ZA vsmon.exe, zlclient, forcefield.exe, etc.

Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

dapjukebox Guest

Hi fax, thanks for the suggestion.
    I have just tried adding vsmon.exe and zaclient.exe to the excluded process list. I couldn't find forcefield.exe. The result was the same.
    Are there any more ZA components you could suggest?
    As a further experiment i also added all of the home server connector processes to the list with no change.
    I have checked the program list in ZA and the processes that seem to be involved with the home server connector are listed but none of them have ever caused a pop up asking for network access. As another test i manually gave all of them unlimited access. Same result - failure.

I think this one will have to go down as one of life's little mysteries!!

yes, sounds a not easy to solve riddle...
    Have you tried to turn OFF ZA program control? Just to see if it ZA program control to cause it?

Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

dapjukebox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    yes, sounds a not easy to solve riddle...
    Have you tried to turn OFF ZA program control? Just to see if it ZA program control to cause it?

Fax
    Just tried that - failure.

It really is a shame because i really like ZA, i used it on my old XP machine for years but have only just returned to it on the new PC and laptop.
    What is strange is that the laptop running 32bit windows 7 with MSE is having no problems at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information