Thread: [SOLVED] Scanning Email Subfolders?

Hybrid View

protected2010 Guest

Default [SOLVED] Scanning Email Subfolders?

When you are in an email app, such as Outlook, you can highlight a folder such as inbox, or even the entire pst file you have loaded, and use the ZoneAlarm options to scan for viruses. Unfortunately, it only seems to scan that 1 level, not all the subfolders.

Issue is that during system scan, ZA triggers that a trojan is found INSIDE one of my psts, but that pst has 100's of subfolders, so no way to figure out which folder to scan let alone which email. It simply quarantines the entire pst, which is just NOT an option.

So, any trick to get it to scan subfolders etc at the same time? I see no setting for that in the options.

Thanks!

Default Re: Scanning Email Subfolders?

Hi!
    I don't think ZA support the scanning of pst files at all. You should exclude pst files from the scanning. Also ensure you are on the latest 9 version.

You may want to check with ZA technical support at the link in my signature. We are all users here.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

protected2010 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!
    I don't think ZA support the scanning of pst files at all. You should exclude pst files from the scanning. Also ensure you are on the latest 9 version.

You may want to check with ZA technical support at the link in my signature. We are all users here.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Well, they do support it when you have Outlook open for sure, since there are plugins and such that specifically give you the ZA abilities.

But perhaps not of the pst externally itself, although I can't see why not since they have to do that anyway to scan any 1 folder when you have Outlook open.

Thanks!

No, scanning is only supported "on access", when you open the e-mail or attachment. There is no ZA plug-in Outlook, only for the antispam module in ZA Suite or Extreme versions.

Fax

protected2010 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    No, scanning is only supported "on access", when you open the e-mail or attachment. There is no ZA plug-in Outlook, only for the antispam module in ZA Suite or Extreme versions.

Fax
    I am currently in Outlook, then I do the following:

1) I click on the ZA tool bar Icon named ZoneAlarm Options in Outlook. There are actually 4 ZA toolbar icons in the Outlook toolbars.
    2) The 8th option done says Scan Selected Folder. Others are things like configure ZA Preferences, Populate Allowed List, etc etc
    3) Clicking this Scan Selected Folder option causes a ZA pop up to open, with the title Analyzing Email and a progress bar indicating its scanning the particular PST file and the folder I selected, gives the number of messages to be exaimed, the number exaimed, the number of messages flagged.

So again, there is an Outlook plug in, it has a manual scan driving by one of the plug in pull downs, but only 1 folder at a time.

, then I select Scan

yes, as already mentioned it is the SPAM plug-in not the antivirus. Antispam cannot detected infected e-mail only suspect spam or evident spam. This is completely different as compared to scanning with AV/AS engine in ZA.

The scan in the antispam will scan the inbox for spam.

Thread Information