Thread: Restore from backup

Hybrid View

zoneu1 Guest

Default Restore from backup

I just upgraded to ZoneAlarm Pro version:9.3.014.000. Since I've upgraded many times and never had a problem I didn't backup by settings and ZA overwrote them this time. I have a backup of the previous ZA installation and was wondering if there is a way to copy the settings from it into this one? If not, then I thought I could uninstall this version, replace this whole ZA directory with the one from my backup, do a backup of the settings and then re-install it again. In that case, does anyone know if I can just replace all of the files in the ZA directory or will there be problems with registry? It's going to be a pain to do all of that but will be helpful if it works. But I don't want to cause program issues by not clearing something that should be cleared.

Default Re: Restore from backup

Hi!
    you should be able to restore the setting by going into ZAPRO preferences --> Restore (backup and restore section). If you upgraded from an old version (8 or 7) then better to start fresh. Or if you see that ZAPRO act weird then reset the ZA settings and start fresh.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by zoneu1 View Post
    I just upgraded to ZoneAlarm Pro version:9.3.014.000. Since I've upgraded many times and never had a problem I didn't backup by settings and ZA overwrote them this time. I have a backup of the previous ZA installation and was wondering if there is a way to copy the settings from it into this one? If not, then I thought I could uninstall this version, replace this whole ZA directory with the one from my backup, do a backup of the settings and then re-install it again. In that case, does anyone know if I can just replace all of the files in the ZA directory or will there be problems with registry? It's going to be a pain to do all of that but will be helpful if it works. But I don't want to cause program issues by not clearing something that should be cleared.
    Hello,

What you are suggesting doing on your own computer, may lead to Corruption of your New ZA Pro install..

All Paid versions of Zone Alarm have a have a Backup and Restore of the Configuration database option in the Overview/Preference section..

However, it is not Recommended to restore from a backup, if your Backup is from a Version 7 or Version 8.. as this may corrupt or conflict with new features in Version 9..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 11th, 2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zoneu1 Guest

Thank to you both for the replies. I think it is probably just asking for trouble so I will leave it as is and set everything up again.

Thread Information