Thread: Game servers: Problems configuring the basics? Help please.

gillelle Guest

Default Game servers: Problems configuring the basics? Help please.

My version is.

ZoneAlarm Pro version 9.3.014.000
    TrueVector security engine 9.3.014.000
    Driver version 9.1.522.000

I've been having an extremely difficult time IP range banning people while hosting gaming servers. If I have my firewall on default settings, I'm unable to host, because the firewall is blocking out everyone, when I only want it to block out the bad. I can join my own servers, but nobody else can. I have to set it to the following, in order to block out the bad, while the others can join.

Firewall
    Main
    Internet Zone Security: Medium
    Trusted Zone Security: Off

Program Control
    Main
    Program Control: Off
    SmartDefense Advisor: Off

Once I had Internet Security on Off and though people were IP range baned and it listed their IP in the log file, they were still able to connect to my servers with ease.

How can I host my servers while still protecting my computer while still protecting my computer?

With the current settings I have now, my log file doesn't record any traffic from the bad, who try to view the server list, unlike my older version of ZoneAlarm Pro, set up on another PC, which logs all taffic. How can I get this version of ZoneAlarm Pro to record the traffic from the bad?

All and all, I've found this experience to be extremely irritating.

Default Re: Problems configuring the basics? Help please.

As fas as I know ZA home product do not support server type of setup you will need to look for another firewall or contacting official ZA technical support for help (if any).

Having said that, to my knowledge the configuration you are looking for should be found in your servers and not in ZA. As soon as you give server rights to the internet to your game server in ZA program control then ZA does not monitor or filter that port anymore. Its your server facing the internet directly, is your server answering to the calls and should be your server to manage what to accept or not. If your server does not have this feature then you are out of lack.

In principle its not needed to set the internet zone to medium (= open all ports). Its not needed to turn off the trusted zone (no control anymore) and its not needed to switch OFF program control or smartdefence. With the above mentioned settings you virtually have no firewall at all (inbound and outbound). You just need to allow server rights to the internet to all game server components you find in program control.

BUT I am not an expert on server configuration, you better contact the official technical support, first to know if your setup is supported and then how to configure ZA.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; October 9th, 2010 at 10:31 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gillelle Guest

Default Re: Game servers: Problems configuring the basics? Help please.

Thanks so far. Hmmm. So you mean I have to give green ticks for each program that is used for the hosting of the server?

How do I go about tech support?

Also, is there a way of saving my block list? It's quite large and I would like to avoid having to type it all out again if I'm going to fiddle about.

Default Re: Game servers: Problems configuring the basics? Help please.

Quote Originally Posted by gillelle View Post
    Thanks so far. Hmmm. So you mean I have to give green ticks for each program that is used for the hosting of the server?
    Yes, programs installed on your PC that are managing the server.

How do I go about tech support?
    Link to tech support in signature

Also, is there a way of saving my block list? It's quite large and I would like to avoid having to type it all out again if I'm going to fiddle about.
    As already explained that blocklist has no use in the context of the servers. You can backup your settings under the ZA preferences --> backup.

May be better to ask the support of the game server on how to deal with the issue.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information