Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA Free 9.2.076 - Win7 64bit - BSOD

su_a_ve Guest

Angry ZA Free 9.2.076 - Win7 64bit - BSOD

New machine (Core i7), 4 GB or RAM, Win7 64bit Enterprise. Clean install, latest drivers from vendor...

No problems for about a week, until I installed ZA. within a few hours, it BSOD. These continued during the next week about once a day.

Uninstalled ZA and no problems for another week.

Installed MS Hotfix and it said the patch was already installed. Installed ZA again, and BSOD within 24 hours. Code always is 07

Definitely something odd going on with this version.

I have another computer that had Win7 Ultimate 64bit since January. Only difference it's a Core 2 Duo. No problems however.

No issues of malware or trojans or anything like it.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 12th, 2010 at 12:56 PM.

Default Re: ZA Free 9.2.076 - Win7 64bit - BSOD

I don't think Zone Alarm Supports Enterprise versions of Windows or Server versions..

Windows 7 Enterprise was is designed specifically for IT Professionals interested in experiencing the Windows 7 Enterprise on behalf of their organization, so that you the IT can test your software and hardware.

The latest ZoneAlarm products 9.1 and greater support Windows XP 32bit, Windows Vista 32/64bit and Windows 7 32/64bit on end user computers.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 12th, 2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

su_a_ve Guest

Enterprise is not a test version of Windows.

It's the equivalent of Windows Ultimate, except licensed differently.

Quote Originally Posted by su_a_ve View Post
    Enterprise is not a test version of Windows.

It's the equivalent of Windows Ultimate, except licensed differently.
    First you need to ensure you have no other security tools running. Zone Alarm does not play nice with many other pre-installed security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates.

For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avast free, NOD, Kaspersky, Comodo, Rising, PC Doctor, MS Security Essential, AVIRA and many others.

If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need them) only after you see your ZA is working as it should.

Double check you have really removed all other security tools by running this utility http://www.appremover.com/

You may want to run ccleaner after to clean the Registry and temp folders

Second, check you have minimum requirements for running ZA Free on Windows 7. ZA needs 2 GB RAM, 2 GHz or faster processor and 250MB of available hard-disk space.

Third, update your Computer with all patches and updates from windows 7 or the Computer manufacturer.

Finally, the BSOD may not related to ZA at all! The above steps should ensure ZA is not involved in these crashes.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 12th, 2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

su_a_ve Guest

No other 'security' related software other than McAfee virusscan

Already mentioned that I exceed the minimum requirements

4GB, 2.x Core i7 (4 cores plus hyperthreading), 300+ GB free

Windows is up to date.

And about the BSOD not being related - how come the system crashes daily (and I did mentioned at different times) while ZA is installed, but did not crash for a full week while ZA was uninstalled, and started crashing again after ZA was reinstalled.

Maybe your Enterprise version of Windows 7 does not like Zone Alarm..
    have you tried some other Free Firewall?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 12th, 2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo

There is ONLY one other thing that I can think of that may resolve your problem with ZA Free on your Enterprise Windows that may resolve the issue..

"No other 'security' related software other than McAfee virusscan"

go into McAfee configuration and tell McAfee to Ignore all Zone Alarm Utilities activity.. (VSmon, Zlclient.exe,Forcefield.exe)

However, if McAfee includes a Firewall, then you must Choose to REMOVE McAfee or REMOVE Zone Alarm.

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls installed at the same time...

if this fails, then try Uninstalling McAfee with the McAfee un-installer and Reboot computer and Re-install ZA Free without McAfee?

Sorry, If that does not Fix the BSOD, maybe some other User will offer another solution?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 14th, 2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: typo

su_a_ve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    There is ONLY one other thing that I can think of that may resolve your problem with ZA Free on your Enterprise Windows that may resolve the issue..

"No other 'security' related software other than McAfee virusscan"

go into McAfee configuration and tell McAfee to Ignore all Zone Alarm Utilities activity.. (VSmon, Zlclient.exe,Forcefield.exe)

if this fails, then try Uninstalling McAfee with the McAfee un-installer and Reboot computer and Re-install ZA Free without McAfee?

Sorry, If that does not Fix the BSOD, then Uninstall Zone Alarm..
    I have no problems on another rig with Ultimate 64bit and same version of McAfee. It's not McAfee as it would be, it would either BSOD or crash on load, which is when McAfee would detect or complain about an application or process. Not just randomly in the middle of work, with the system running for hours (or minutes).

Based on other threads, I'm not alone in this. It seems that the need for the MS HotFix has something to do with this. However, it seems the HotFix is not enough and more debugging needs to be done by the developers here.

I'm sorry that you will not accept the possibility that Zone Alarm Free is not compatible with your Enterprise version of Windows or try some of the Suggestions I have made dealing with McAfee..

Sorry, there are millions of other users without using the Enterprise version of Windows who have no problem with ZA Free..

If your un-willing to try the suggestions offered, then I think the Solution for Your problem is to UNINSTALL Zone alarm and try something else..

Good Luck..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 14th, 2010 at 04:45 AM. Reason: fix typo

su_a_ve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    I'm sorry that you will not accept the possibility that Zone Alarm Free is not compatible with your Enterprise version of Windows..

Sorry, there are millions of other users without using the Enterprise version of Windows who have no problem with ZA Free..

I think the Solution for Your problem is to UNINSTALL Zone alarm and try someting else..

Good Luck..
    Windows users the same exact code for it's different versions, except that additional functionality is enabled across the different versions.

Starter has limited functions like Aero and such
    Home Premium adds all of this and MCE and parental controls
    Professional does not have MCE or parental controls but adds other security related options
    Ultimate and Enterprise are EXACTLY the same. Same code, same feature sets. The only difference is Enterprise can be licensed from an MS license server, or a Volume license agreement key, whereas Ultimate must be licensed by an individual key.

All versions get installed from the SAME DVD media.

Sheesh...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information