Thread: Control Center Freezes

Don96054 Guest

Angry Control Center Freezes

Running XP pro SP3, ZoneAlarm Free 9.0.0.861 (and later upgrades.)

When I upgraded to the next update everything was fine for day, then the control center would freeze when I opened it. None of the buttons were active. Sometimes even the window close button (X) would not work. I would re-install and everything was ok for a day or two and then the same thing would happen. I ran cpes_clean.exe and installed 9.0.0.861. But then it started doing the same thing. When the current release became available, I installed it. Things were OK for about a week and then it started doing the same thing. I would reinstall it and nothing changed. Finally I went back to 9.0.0.861.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Control Center Freezes

B.) It looks like your Upgrade Install may Have been Corrupted durring Download or install proccess.
    The Best Fix for this problem is to Uninstall the Corrupte Version.. and download a fresh copy of ZA 9.2 and do a Clean re-install.

The safest procedure is to :

1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and (no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent, uTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista and Windows7)

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall DOWNLOAD

World's #1 Firewall
    Our 2-way firewall proactively protects against inbound and outbound attacks while making you invisible to hackers.

2.) Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3.) Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now Uninstall Zone Alarm using Windows Uninstall or on Windows 7 , Control Panel/Uninstal a program option.

5.) Now Install the new update (clean Install) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

Don96054 Guest

George,

Thanks for the reply, I've already done a clean install 3 times with different versions of ZoneAlarm. I've used cpes_clean.exe to remove ZoneAlarm before I did the new install. Everything is OK for a couple of days, then the Control Center goes dead. ZoneAlarm TrueVector seems to be working OK, but I can't get into the program list to change any of the settings for a program.

Don

Thank you for your feedback..

That symptom sounds like:
    1.) a corrupted install of Zone Alarm, or 2.) some other installed program conflicting with or blocking some Zone Alarm functions.

Try to find the culprit of the conflict by selectively boot your system. First try only ZA and Windows services and then slowly put back the unchecked items (first services and then startup items).

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box (or search box in VISTA/Win7) and click OK (ENTER in VISTA/Win7)
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work now?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the General tab.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 20th, 2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information