Thread: ZA Free & Magicjack problem

wshubert Guest

Default ZA Free & Magicjack problem

I am using the latest version of ZA Free (9.2.076) and using the Magicjack internet phone service. I have the Magicjack program set to open access for ACCESS and SERVER and my Internet Zone security level set to HIGH.

The problem occurs with incoming calls. It appears that incomming traffic is being blocked and calls will not come through. Even though the security level of HIGH states that it prevents anyone on the internet from connecting to me, I thought that giving the Magicjack program full permissions would allow both outgoing AND incoming traffic for that program. However, if I set my Internet Zone security level to MEDIUM, things work fine.

The Magicjack support tech indicated that incomming access was neeeded to a range of UDP ports. I checked the Alerts Log and found no UDP access blocking when I had the level set to HIGH, but I'm guessing that is the problem.

Here are my questions:

Am I putting my system at severe risk by setting my Internet Zone security to MEDIUM?

I've searched the forums and Knowledge Base for ways to enable incomming access to specific ports, but the information I've found seems to relate to other versions of ZA. Is there a way in the latest version to allow access to specific UDP ports? If so, what is the risk of doing this?

I've also asked the Magicjack tech support person if they could provide me with the site that is attempting to access the ports. I have found the mechanism to add a site to the Trusted Zone (if they can tell me who it is). Would this fix my problem?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Default Re: ZA Free & Magicjack problem

Hi!

there is no way to open specific ports in ZAfree. With ZA Internet setting set to MEDIUM:

- Your computer is visible to other computers.
    - Access to Windows services, file and printer shares is allowed.
    - Program permissions are still enforced.

If your Operating System is kept up to date with latest security patches and Service Packs, you do not run vulnerable software and you are running a reputable antimalware solution then the risk is very limited or near to zero. To improve your security you could simply purchase a cheap router to connect to.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wshubert Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!

there is no way to open specific ports in ZAfree. With ZA Internet setting set to MEDIUM:

- Your computer is visible to other computers.
    - Access to Windows services, file and printer shares is allowed.
    - Program permissions are still enforced.

If your Operating System is kept up to date with latest security patches and Service Packs, you do not run vulnerable software and you are running a reputable antimalware solution then the risk is very limited or near to zero. To improve your security you could simply purchase a cheap router to connect to.

Fax
    Thanks Fax!

I do keep my system up-to-date, run AVG Anti-Virus and am very careful about what software I run, so it sounds like I'm not just "leaving the door open" by setting my Internet Zone security level to MEDIUM.

Just for some added clarification for a dummy:

The second item you mentioned (Access to Windows services, file and printer shares is allowed) sounds like it would significantly put me at risk. Is it the third item (Program permissions are still enforced) that counteracts this apparent vulnerability?

I'm unclear on how a "cheap router" can improve my security. Can you elaborate?

Thanks again to you and anyone else who chimes in!

Quote Originally Posted by wshubert View Post
    Is it the third item (Program permissions are still enforced) that counteracts this apparent vulnerability?
    No, not really. One is incoming control while the other is outgoing control (program control). You should check your XP/VISTA/Windows 7 settings to ensure you are not sharing wide open files/resources of your PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by wshubert View Post
    I'm unclear on how a "cheap router" can improve my security. Can you elaborate?
    A router facing internet will, by default, deflate all unsolicitied incoming calls either by NAT protocol or by the firewall integrated in most if not all of them. This way you will resolve both problems created by switching ZA from HIGH to medium.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information