Thread: ZoneAlarm Free & ioSafe Periph. Hard Drive

Marshalldoc Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Free & ioSafe Periph. Hard Drive

I purchased the ioSafe Solo periph. hard drive to back-up my data & have also been using ZoneAlaram Free for many years (quite happily too).

Now I find that ZoneAlarm seems to have an interaction with my ioSafe.

Once I've backed up my Computer (windows 7, Dell DataSafe Local Backup) onto the ioSafe, and try to eject it so I can turn it off, I get:

"Problem ejecting USB mass storage device.

This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and try again."

Once I've removed the data from the ioSafe (re-formated), uninstalled ZoneAlarm, and restarted the computer, the ioSafe can be safely ejected & turned off.

Kindly advise...

Marshalldoc

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free & ioSafe Periph. Hard Drive

Should be no reason at all you need to remove all the data from the drive.

Just shutdown ZA by right clicking it and select shutdown.

If the drive is still busy then there could be another issue going on.

Free ZA does not have AV so there would be no reason for it to have anything to do with this drive.

Unless this is not the typical USB external drive and you install something off a CD on the PC for this drive.

Then there could be issues with what ever was installed.

Good thing to do is contact the drive maker to see if they have a solution or heard of the issue. Check the forums of the drive maker too to get in touch with other who use the brand of drive.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Marshalldoc Guest

Dear Moderator,

Thanks for the quick reply. In fact, I've been troubleshooting this issue with Dell (my computer's manufacturer) & tech support at ioSafe since I first recognized I had a problem (took me a couple of months familiarizing myself with a new computer to recognize it as a problem).

2 weeks ago, the Dell tech spent 6.5 hrs online trying to get the periph. drive to eject... finally did by uninstalling ZA. I re-intalled ZA and was able to function normally until a couple days ago when the error message cropped up again.

Today I actually copied all my back up data onto my internal drive, reformatted the ioSafe (a 750 GB, fireproof, Waterproof, USB device), and it still gave me an error message until I uninstalled ZA.

I will, however, try your suggestion of disabling ZA on a backup I'll do tomorrow night.

Thanks,

Marshalldoc.

I suggest checking with support of the drive maker and if they have a forum of there own see if other users had similar issues and how they fixed them.

Also what about software that was installed for this drive. That certainly could be the issue here because ZA free wont interfere with a hardware solution only as I said in the previous post.

Your really not going to get much help here since this is such a very specialized and off brand of USB drive.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Marshalldoc Guest

Thank you.

As I mentioned before, I've been addressing this issue for quite some time with the drive's tech rep.

FYI, I did attempt a backup to the drive with ZA turned off and I was able to eject it & turn it off. Whether this situation will continue is uncertain since, after the Dell tech worked on the issue (remotely), if did eject for several uses and then failed to (which was when I contacted you).

Of interest may be that I use Dell's "DataSafe Local Backup" which backs up all the programs, system state, data, etc. on the computer. My suspicion is that, if ZA is running when the backup occurs, the computer sees the backed up ZA running in the background and refuses to eject the drive. Not being an engineer, I've no idea whether or not that theory is reasonable.

I've appreciated your input and will post further as the situation demands.

Marshalldoc.

Thread Information