Thread: zonealarm does not affect internet?

kenwood Guest

Default zonealarm does not affect internet?

Hello,

I couldn't find my problem in your forums, please tell me when there's already a thread about it.

I just installed ZoneAlarm and I'm not having any problems with it stopping my internet access - it just doesn't control it at all.

I'm now connected via wifi, which is also recognized by zonealarm as "internet" and not trusted. But when I access the internet with any program, zonealarm doesn't alert at all, although it have alerts as "manual" and program control "medium". The programs I use are also not in the "programs" list under the "program control" tab, it just says nothing.

Even stranger, when I click on zonealarm and say "stop all internet activity", the red lock appears, but I can still connect to the internet. Is there anything I could do to make it work as it should?

Thanks for your response.
    kenwood

traderstuart Guest

Default Re: zonealarm does not affect internet?

I have exactly the same problem, running 9.3.037 on 2 different computers with XP Pro SP3.

I am trying to block all internet access, I select the automatic internet lock, I also have the setting as block all internet activity (no programs on pass through). It blocks nothing!

As a workaround I went to programs and set to Internet Explorer to "kill", that stops it from working but there is no entry for Firefox and when I try and add it to the program list ZA does not do it.

Hi!

you may want to check well your settings in ZA program control. Especially the smartdefense and the Microsoft certified applications in the advanced settings. These settings especially the latter may supersede any other in the program control allowing Microsoft certified applications to connect.

For programs not to be found in the program control list there are two possibility 1) Your ZA settings are corrupted 2) You are not looking to the right name (sometimes programs are called differently as you may expect, scrool all and check the file name).

To reset the ZA settings you need to:
    1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Remember that with a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at the link in my signature.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

traderstuart Guest

I will try to reset as you suggest and see if it makes a difference.

I appreciate your response although you did not say anything about Firefox not appearing in the ZA programs list. I notice on yet another computer that is running an older version of ZA that it does have an entry for Firefox. So it would seem that an update has broken something that used to work.

As I have a valid license for Extreme Security 2010 I will contact support if the reset does not work and you have no further suggestions.

Yes, what you describe is usually linked to a database corruption. The reset will fix it.

traderstuart Guest

Thanks fax for your reset tip. I can now see both IE and Firefox in the programs list and set the Trust level as "kill" to stop them from running.

However the stop all internet activity still does not work. It worked with 9.3.014 but it does not work with 9.3.037

Any ideas how to block a program such as Firefox portable? I have someone who is running it off a flash drive to get around the ZoneAlarm restrictions. I suspect that it could also be copied to the hard disk and it would still avoid the restrictions. Not being able to block all internet activity really is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by traderstuart View Post
    However the stop all internet activity still does not work. It worked with 9.3.014 but it does not work with 9.3.037
    There is no difference between the two on permissions level or design. If it was working with 14 it should work with 37
    Permissions to run software anyway should be better managed at level of the system (limited user account) than ZA. ZA is not designed for that.

Considering you are running a licensed version you should contact the official ZA technical support at the link in my signature.

Fax

Thread Information