Thread: Blocking unknown programs

traderstuart Guest

Default Blocking unknown programs

On XP Pro SP3 I have a user account setup as limited, this means the user cannot install new programs, so far so good. I am trying to restrict Internet access using ZA Extreme Security but the block all internet activity is not working (I will sort out with ZA technical support next week).

Meanwhile what I can do is set individual programs to "kill" to stop them from working. However someone can get around this by using a browser that does not have to be installed such as Firefox portable.

What is the best way to stop any "unknown" (not installed) program from accessing the internet (without using block all internet activity)?

Default Re: Blocking unknown programs

As already said you need to do it via the OS. In windows 7 you have applock in XP you need to work with permissions see, for example, here or here for an alternative solution.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

traderstuart Guest

Thanks for the links fax, they are interesting but I don't know why you say it has to be done in the O/S.

I've been experimenting with: ZA -> Firewall -> Expert -> Add
    Action = Block
    Source = My Computer
    Destination = Internet Zone

This seems to work just fine with blocking all internet access, neither IE or Firefox were able to view any sites. Not sure if this will have any undesirable consequences as I don't want to stop other installed programs from accessing the internet. Perhaps I should set a protocol for it as well, perhaps:
    Protocol = TCP (any recommendations for this value?)

I also wonder if this would work: ZA -> Program Control (Main) -> Advanced -> Access Permissions -> Connection Attempts ->
    Internet Zone = Always deny access

What do you think, or is this starting to get outside of your ZA knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by traderstuart View Post
    Thanks for the links fax, they are interesting but I don't know why you say it has to be done in the O/S.
    ?
    Because ZA is not designed to control or monitor user permissions, this is more the duty of enterprise designed programs. To restrict program access you should also ensure that the option to allow certified microsoft programs to connect out is UNchecked (ZA program control section). This is normally the cause for software calling out even with blocked access in ZA program control. Also smardefense should be set to OFF and ZA protected with a password.

If you are happy with expert rules then please go no. I am not recommending it since it will be cumbersome for novice users everytime to enable/disable rules accordingly.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information